Fastest internet in NSW? (1 Viewer)

jessi90

HSC
Can someone direct me to the fastest internet plan in NSW? Are there such plans that allow you to visit american websites with their pages loading instantly (probably <0.5 seconds load times...) after you click?

Top Secret

HSC
There are just way too many factors to predict website loading times. But the fastest available broadband connection at the moment is ADSL2/+ (if it's available at your phone exchange), which runs at max theoretical 24mbps/1mbps. You true speed will depend on your distance from the exchange, but the average I think is 8mbps, which will download a 700mb movie in ~12min.
If you have cable available, then you might want to look at Big pond 100mbps cable. Though I highly recommend staying away from that.
However, this is still surprisingly slow compared to world standards. Though to counter that, Rudd is building a FTTH network, while within 8 years, should be available in NSW. Standard speed of this network will be 100mbps/xxmbps, but has potential to reach speeds exceeding 1gbps.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
If you are going to use technical terms, atleast get them right.

As of now, i would think TPG is kicking ass and taking numbers in terms of speed, DL usage and cost.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
There are just way too many factors to predict website loading times. But the fastest available broadband connection at the moment is ADSL2/+ (if it's available at your phone exchange), which runs at max theoretical 24mbps/1mbps. You true speed will depend on your distance from the exchange, but the average I think is 8mbps, which will download a 700mb movie in ~12min.
If you have cable available, then you might want to look at Big pond 100mbps cable. Though I highly recommend staying away from that.
However, this is still surprisingly slow compared to world standards. Though to counter that, Rudd is building a FTTH network, while within 8 years, should be available in NSW. Standard speed of this network will be 100mbps/xxmbps, but has potential to reach speeds exceeding 1gbps.
+1

And i can't wait for the FTTH network to get up and working :D

vds700

HSC
Can someone direct me to the fastest internet plan in NSW? Are there such plans that allow you to visit american websites with their pages loading instantly (probably <0.5 seconds load times...) after you click?
Probably best bet is to go for ADSL2+. I use TPG and its quite fast, plans are good value too. I'd stay away from Telstra, they're a bloody rip-off.

Also heard Exetel is good

Top Secret

HSC
As of now, i would think TPG is kicking ass and taking numbers in terms of speed, DL usage and cost.
I use TPG and its quite fast
1) TPG has crap service.
2) Your speed is entirely dependent on physical (location, line quality, etc) variables, not the ISP.

TPG suits customers requiring large download limits, and who have a decent understanding to manage their own connection.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Just don't use telstra. They have the worst customer service, and often have problems with bills etc. At least, that's what happens to us.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Just don't use telstra. They have the worst customer service, and often have problems with bills etc. At least, that's what happens to us.
Yeah, i have Telstra and some strange stuff has happened with my net. In March my net ran out in 10 days and we knew there was no way that we could use up 20gb in 10 days so we rang them up and to cut a long story short we ended up having to wait without internet for 2 weeks. Not to mention the random disconnections i get (though this may be due to my wireless). And don't even talk about their customer service as they don't have any.

I'm thinking of changing to TPG once my contract is over with these idgits.

astroe

HSC
TPG is sexy. :)

Anyway yeah, what you're looking for is the technology, ADSL2+.

I remember once this guy I knew was bragging how he had T1 or T2 or whatever, I don't recall it being used for residential purposes.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
1) TPG has crap service.
2) Your speed is entirely dependent on physical (location, line quality, etc) variables, not the ISP.

TPG suits customers requiring large download limits, and who have a decent understanding to manage their own connection.
You seem to have around 0 understanding of how the internet works.

Top Secret

HSC
You seem to have around 0 understanding of how the internet works.
Tell me then, how can TPG (or any other ISP) improve your line speed?

Are you saying that if an individual signs up for ADSL2 with TPG will experience a faster speed than say if that person signed up with Telstra?
If so, then it is you, not I, that seems "to have around 0 understanding of how the internet works".

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Tell me then, how can TPG (or any other ISP) improve your line speed?

Are you saying that if an individual signs up for ADSL2 with TPG will experience a faster speed than say if that person signed up with Telstra?
If so, then it is you, not I, that seems "to have around 0 understanding of how the internet works".
For one thing, TPG's customer service gets the job done. Ask the right questions, get the right answers. You are only following the crowd if you say TPG's customer service is crap.
TPG suits the average internet consumer. They don't appeal to users who don't use much, and their business plans suck. And why on earth would you need to know how to 'manage your own connection'?
As for internet speed:
  • DSLAM
  • Node Router
  • Regional Router/Switches
  • Main/National Switches
  • Competitive Switches
Each ISP has their own backhaul infrastructure. These can and do affect speed a lot.

Last edited:

Top Secret

HSC
For one thing, TPG's customer service gets the job done. Ask the right questions, get the right answers. You are only following the crowd if you say TPG's customer service is crap.
TPG suits the average internet consumer. They don't appeal to users who don't use much, and their business plans suck. And why on earth would you need to know how to 'manage your own connection'?
Just because you may have had a good experience does not mean the "croud" is lying about their bad experience with TPG.
When you say, "ask the right questions, get the right answers", an average user in response to the most common problem - dropouts, will not have a clue as to the cause of this dropout. These people will simply question TPG "I cannot access the internet". This is a very broad question, as there are multiple possible causes of the dropout, thus it is very difficult issue to resolve, and I'm sure TPG will struggle.
Additionally, going with TPG almost guarantees you poor service uptime. They offer huge data allowance, which often result in slower speeds or more frequent dropouts for many customers.
On the other hand, an advanced user will have a better understanding of their "own connection" and may be able to diagnose the problem themselves, and only then will they be asking "the right questions" such as a problem with line synchronization, or to increase line noise margin for greater stability, etc.

As for internet speed:

• DSLAM
  • Node Router
  • Regional Router/Switches
  • Main/National Switches
  • Competitive Switches

ISPs use separate infrastructure. These can and do affect speed a lot.
Maybe by an insignificant margin, but certainly not "a lot". To the average user, the speed difference is negligible. If the speed differences were large, I would expect ISP's to be taking advantage of that, and advertise in regards to the reputation they have with broadband speeds.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
ISPs do. They advertise that they can 'reach up to speeds of 24Mbps' which is theoretically possible but practically impossible.
Top Secret said:
When you say, "ask the right questions, get the right answers", an average user in response to the most common problem - dropouts, will not have a clue as to the cause of this dropout. These people will simply question TPG "I cannot access the internet". This is a very broad question, as there are multiple possible causes of the dropout, thus it is very difficult issue to resolve, and I'm sure TPG will struggle.
As would any other ISP.
Additionally, going with TPG almost guarantees you poor service uptime. They offer huge data allowance, which often result in slower speeds or more frequent dropouts for many customers.
On the other hand, an advanced user will have a better understanding of their "own connection" and may be able to diagnose the problem themselves, and only then will they be asking "the right questions" such as a problem with line synchronization, or to increase line noise margin for greater stability, etc.
I don't recall saying TPG doesn't have dropouts. In fact, I experience many dropouts and I'm with TPG. There are, however, many people that don't drop out at all. What a mystery? (I personally think there's a corrosion in my wiring)
In any case, the speed difference is actually quite significant, but not enough for a computer illiterate person to notice.

Also, you can't just magically increase SNR margin. Customer service will also guide you through an isolation test if they think your line attenuation is the problem.
As snowfox said, if you're going to be technical, use the right terms.

Top Secret

HSC
Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

ISPs do. They advertise that they can 'reach up to speeds of 24Mbps' which is theoretically possible but practically impossible
But all ISPs do that. None actually state that going with them will ensure faster speeds.

TPG particularly will struggle because of the relatively large amounts of complains they must get. After all, you get what you pay for.

Also, you can't just magically increase SNR margin. Customer service will also guide you through an isolation test if they think your line attenuation is the problem.
Usually, the customer is in charge and can request the change without any hassles. But even if the process is required, so what?

As snowfox said, if you're going to be technical, use the right terms.
Okay, so you're the computer nerd here. Instead of attacking me on my mistakes, could you at least point out the errors that I have made so I will not make them next time?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Okay, so you're the computer nerd here. Instead of attacking me on my mistakes, could you at least point out the errors that I have made so I will not make them next time?
Gigabytes/Gigabits. Bits are smaller then Bytes, and hence shown as:

Bits=b
Bytes=B

For every 8 bits, you get 1 Byte.

/IT+IPT techy.

As for ISP's, id rather TPG for several reasons.

#1- Customer service is fucking awesome. Did a week of workplacement, had to set up a network for a customer, they helped in 5 mins. Telstra had me on hold for 10 mins. This happened atleast 5 times every day for a week.

#2- Their pricing is not only competitive, they are justified. Seriously, im on something like $40 for 12GB with Telstra, if was to add another $40, id get 80GB with TPG.

#3- TPG rents their phone lines off of Telstra. Right now Telstra is redoing many of its phone lines, so network availability is alot better then it use to be. And if buyers are still worried, the TPG website also has a simple function. Put your phone number in and it will tell you if the network is available and a topographic map of the type of connection.

#4- Telstra sucks. Passing off huge bills to pay for their own bill of $420M/per year to Optus to rent Satellite transponders.

Originally Posted by Top Secret
Do you know how Customer Service works? The Customer Service software is designed to narrow the most obvious answers down, then allow them to walk the client/customer through it. I should know, i designed the GUI for my teachers Customer Service that he had other students program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)