Families face losing their welfare if their children skip school (1 Viewer)

akrinis

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
How is it a good idea?

- Parents can't really "force" their children to go to school. I remember I used to jig school and I am pretty sure that my parents couldn't have done anything about it (my parents aren't on welfare).
- Forcing a child to go to school does nothing if that child doesn't have the heart to learn. The child would probably block out the information anyway and not do the required work
- What about parents who child jigs and isn't on welfare?
- What about people on welfare who now don't want to have kids for the risk or losing their welfare payments
- Also there may be certain reasonable reasons where a child doesn't want to go to school e.g. bullying, mental illness etc. where forcing a child will not help the situation and other solutions such as councelling sounds like a better option.
I agree with you. I know some kids who go through genuine depression and sometimes the school mentality is too much for them. When they're all alone, and have to face the intimidation of teachers and authorities in school. They grow anxious when faced with going to school, then subsequently spend the next day away, and the whole thing repeats itself in a nasty cycle. The best thing we can do for them is try to create understanding and compassion. If you cut off welfare, provided this then creates problems at home, I can't see how it helps too much. It might make things worse. We have to look beyond the stereotypical and more at individual cases. Get to the bottom of it - what is the motivation for their not going to school? Sometimes it's not always as simple as we think.

autumbabe1991

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
especially if they starved to death from no welfare :angry:

touche, much?

look Buddy, i come from that area, i know what 90- 99% of the people are like...

the people prefer to spend it on drugs(alcohol cigettes and more), tv/ stereo systems, cars... their children end up in povo schools, jig, start drugs cos of the wrong crowds... and there are the several few who, such as my own parents and the sound of it yours, decided it is not the best, and do what they have to.....

the whole idea of Housing Commission and Centrelink/ welfare, was to provide our society with stepping stone back into private housing and jobs, it was an emergency idea for many families who needed immediate help... however there are people who took these opportunities, who are capable of owning their own home and working, and decided not to stop.... Housing Commission homes were originally thereotically a family was supposed to be in this accomodation for five years... some of the people have been there since in was originally created......

So by eliminating people who are capable of working from recieving welfare, by giving them jobs and training, is ultimately infunencing the economy....

there are also several ways the government can improve this system....

firstly the should re- evalute everyone who recieves support, decide who would be able to work and who wouldnt... Provide the people who could work with training etc and a routine to get them back into the work force... for those who cant, obviously, provide them with what they need, these usually being older, or sick people.... sick being medically recognised mental or physical illness....

Secondly, provide them not negotiable vouchers which accesses food, clothing and hygiene requirements... and enough cash to pay the rent....

thridly, follow each client up with regular suprise visits and stick to it......

(i apologise for being so straight up and rude, this situation really bugs me and for not previously stating what i meant....
)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
autumbabe1991 said:
firstly the should re- evalute everyone who recieves support, decide who would be able to work and who wouldnt... Provide the people who could work with training etc and a routine to get them back into the work force... for those who cant, obviously, provide them with what they need, these usually being older, or sick people.... sick being medically recognised mental or physical illness....

Secondly, provide them not negotiable vouchers which accesses food, clothing and hygiene requirements... and enough cash to pay the rent....

thridly, follow each client up with regular suprise visits and stick to it......
they already do try to get the unemployed ppl training so they can work

that's why I've heard things like "centrelink will cut me dole if i miss another tafe class" :D

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
akrinis said:
I agree with you. I know some kids who go through genuine depression and sometimes the school mentality is too much for them. When they're all alone, and have to face the intimidation of teachers and authorities in school. They grow anxious when faced with going to school, then subsequently spend the next day away, and the whole thing repeats itself in a nasty cycle. The best thing we can do for them is try to create understanding and compassion. If you cut off welfare, provided this then creates problems at home, I can't see how it helps too much. It might make things worse. We have to look beyond the stereotypical and more at individual cases. Get to the bottom of it - what is the motivation for their not going to school? Sometimes it's not always as simple as we think.
I think it was more aimed at the little shits of kids who have no discipline.

And this scheme at least will raise the parent's awareness of their child's
school going habits, perhaps giving them help they wouldnt have got before?

This is the law, it has to look at society in general anyway, of course it has to assume stereotypes.

I understand what you're saying, I've been it that situation, but I'm sure the majority of those wagging school aren't like that.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Sorry this is a dumb question but how is the government suppose to differenciate between a child who is truenting for the sake of truenting, a child with ADHD and a child with depression unless they have the documentation??? Noting that there will be some that go undiagnosed and some that are misdiagnosed. *cough* also noting that doctors cost money...
fuck them and fuck their defeatist bullshit. Being predispositioned to something does not mean you are unable to exercise your own will.

autumbabe1991

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
they already do try to get the unemployed ppl training so they can work

that's why I've heard things like "centrelink will cut me dole if i miss another tafe class" :D

thankyou....
And that is only the first intial step in changing....

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
- What about people on welfare who now don't want to have kids for the risk or losing their welfare payments
They only get the welfare payments because they have kids to support.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
If they don't have kids in the first place that's the best possible result.

Unfortunately the types we're talking about don't have any concept of "family planning" and start pumping them out from ~20 onwards

zstar

HSC
N/A
How about no welfare at all.

Rely on your own abilities and stop asking the government for handouts.

Welfare creates lazy people and the taxes that are needed to support this system take the money out of honest hard working people who instead of having the right to keep their earnings are being taxed out of their wealth.

autumbabe1991

HSC
Riet said:
They only get the welfare payments because they have kids to support.
and hasnt this risen due to something called the baby bonus which initial was supposed to support hard working decent people who wanted children but found the costs to much to deal with?

which it didnt actually happen like that... we now have another generation of welfare recipetents to support.... and this next generation like the one prior to it, will jig school, prefer to have issues with authorities and get into drugs of some sort.... <sort of disagree riet soz>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)