fairly easy bass pieces DESPERATELY NEEDED!! ahh help me! (1 Viewer)

kill me please

hey, i've left it just a TAD late, and i'm desperately trying to find some bass guitar pieces for music 1. i need a jazz piece, and another piece of my choice from another genre - preferably something i'll enjoy playing - rock, etc. i'm not a very advanced bassist, so i have to try and keep it fairly moderate too. not too difficult!
i have to perform the rock,etc. one on April 7th, which leaves me hardly any time at all - PLEASE HELP THIS FOOL!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
hey

i know EXACTLY how you feel, i left mine until 2 weeks before my half yearly music exam (yesterday) and feeling quite ... ARRRRR!!

Everyone says go for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers stuff, but it's too repetative, don't do it!!!

Most Victor Wooten stuff is bass solo, its really good to impress the markers with, but i don't know if you can learn it in 2 weeks! if you are dedicated, try "latin groove" - it's latin bass, then it breaks out into this mad walking bass line. that's jazz, isnt it?

Jaco pastorius is all jazz, you should try "portrait of tracy", but it may be abit hard, so i say leave it until the hsc.

most rock basses are pretty repetative, so why don't you do a medley of rock songs? try to get all these famous rock riffs and play them on bass - that'd be pretty fun, especially with a band!

Good luck!

iH

Oldie
HSC
Ok, Brace yourself.

Stu Hamm - Quahogs anyone - can be edited to be simple or can be hard...same with "Country Music (A Night in Hell)"
Stu Hamm - Sleigh Ride is very much a jazz piece...
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Stomping Grounds (Live) is good if you can find a band to groove with.
Rush - YYZ (good prog rock piece, requires some speed but it's doable)
Dream Theater - Overture 1928 (Requires speed too - but i'm not sure what level ur at)
Les Claypool - The Awakening (bass and drums)
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth) - may not go down as well though, but it has some hard bits
Niacin - Swing Swang Swung
Cream - Crossroads
Cream - Sunshine of your Love
The WHo - Boris the Spider
The Who - My Generation (with bass solo)
Cake - Distance
Racer-X - Scarified
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Coffee Shop (with bass solo)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane (ditto)

As far as jazz goes:
Incubus - Battlestar Scralatchtica could work quite well if arranged properly.
Miles Davis - So What - simple and features the bass.
Herbie Hancock - Chameleon (simple, a bit overdone, easy to add a solo too)
Weather Report - Birdland (if you can get a big band AND play the original grooves)
Jaco Pastorius - THe Chicken
Lee Ritenour - Rio Funk (with bass solo by Marcus Miller)
Marcus Miller - Power
Marcus Miller - Burning down the House
Marcus Miller - Lonnie's Lament
Marcus Miller - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (cool unison line)
St. Thomas (standard - you'd have to adapt it for bass but it works)
Jamiroquai - Manifest Destiny
Jamiroquai - Too Young to Die
Jamiroquai - Black Capricorn Day

kill me please

damn, you guys are awesome, thank you soooo much. i could have freakin died from stressing about it.... well, off to read some tabs and practice, practice, practice, i s'pose!
thanking you again!

yt23w

just remember ... tabs aint always right! they are helpful but also try and listen to the song and read the tab at the same time. this helps develop the ear (to an extent). Also try looking at different tabs for the same song and comming up with your own arrangmetn of the song.

serenesorrow

Originally posted by iH
Racer-X - Scarified
That would be awesome for HSC, you'd need a shit hot guitarist though.. and he'd steal the spotlight.

EDIT: Just listened to it for the first time in a while... that would go down well... those bass fills are tight as fuck.

Last edited:

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
tabs really suck!
the ones i get on the internet are completely useless
i have to figure them out by myself in the end
and trust me, that aint pretty!
haha, good luck finding the tabs

Thomas_wow

buy sheet music if you cant work out songs from a CD, tabs are fucked

i also play bass and have already chosen to do RHCP -- around the world as one piece. it looks and sounds quite hard but is really very easy (and even if it is repetitive it sounds mad)

i would do aeroplane for the bass solo, but the rest of the song is too basic to get real good marks in the HSC. unless you varied it or it was very very tight

kill me please

yeah, i fucking love rancid and MM is a great song and the bass solo is wicked and all, but WAY too fast for me. fuckery dat.

serenesorrow

Originally posted by Crikket
tabs really suck!
the ones i get on the internet are completely useless
i have to figure them out by myself in the end
and trust me, that aint pretty!
haha, good luck finding the tabs
Tabs are great for people who are too lazy to figure out songs. Or great for starting points for figuring them out.

The best tabs are ones at sites with rating systems or those for tablature software, i.e Powertab and GuitarPro.

Thomas_wow

do chili peppers,
don't do something different.

btw, night before jobs always get better marks than prepared... because it leaves room for improv.

also if you do chili peppers, its so friggen easy to do fills to make the song sound better - make up your own or steal fleas from other songs. they're all in similar keys anyway.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Originally posted by Thomas_wow

btw, night before jobs always get better marks than prepared... because it leaves room for improv.

you're kidding!
does that actually work?

and DON"T do chilli peppers
flea's a really good bass player but the songs are REALLY repetative
once the main riff is repeated 4 times, people get bored and lose interest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)