failng (1 Viewer)

idan

HSC
what happens if u get a fail in a subject that is a prereq for one ur doing next semester

man my average was 63 but i failed one of my courses so what do i do

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
as long as you get a conceded pass it should be ok.

>40% and you should talk with some of the teachers involved with the course, see what you can do.

oh wait... are you first year? i dont think they offer conceeded passed after 1st year... you could always redo the course during summer session

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
It depends on the subject. If it is a PC, you are fine just continue onto the next subject (unless it has some specific requirement). If it is a PR or a F then looks like you will have to do the subject again.

It is possible you may be able to repeat the subject in Spring, or even Summer; it typically depends on what percentage of the class normally fails. It's not the end of the world, it's possible you can do a later year subject with no prerequisites in Spring so that you may repeat the subject you will miss out on next year.

DooGseY

HSC
Serius said:
>40% and you should talk with some of the teachers involved with the course, see what you can do.
I know a guy who got a 44 while doing the subject for the second time and they still didn't care. Maybe the subject coordinator was just a dick, but I don't think they like making special arrangements (after all its more money for the uni).

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
idan said:
do i call someone?
Visit the lecturer in his/her office.

It'll be a waste of time if they tell you to deal with it, but they can see you've made an effort to meet with them. It'll be a bonus even if you don't get boosted to a PC. If you retake the subject with that lecturer then they'll think you're serious about your studies.

idan

HSC
But what actually happens if I I get the fail?

Do I have to change my subjects I'm completing next semester or do they do it for me? And does a notice come for my parents?

DooGseY

HSC
idan said:

Do I have to change my subjects I'm completing next semester or do they do it for me? And does a notice come for my parents?
You will be able to enrol in the subject on sols but it will probably say provisional or something like that, then when an admin goes to check if you're eligible for the subject you will be denied enrollment. So yeah, you will have to change your subjects next semester and redo the subject you've failed, and theres pretty much nothing you can do except try harder next time.

They don't send you your results in the mail and as far as I know they still don't send them if you've failed a subject. Either way, unless your parents read mail addressed to you then you won't have to worry anyway.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
idan said:

If you get the fail, then a fail is stipulated on your academic record. Your academic record, outside of academia is for your eyes only. Unless your parents have access to SMP, they can only find out your marks through you.

You will have to change a subject for which the failed subject is a prerequisite. But don't worry. There are some subjects in SITACS that have a very very high fail rate.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
idan said:
what happens if u get a fail in a subject that is a prereq for one ur doing next semester

man my average was 63 but i failed one of my courses so what do i do
Illawarra TAFE Wollongong Campus
Foleys Road, Wollongong
PO Box 1223
WOLLONGONG NSW 2500
Phone: (02) 4229 0400
Fax: (02) 4229 0626

That should answer your question.

UOW

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Assuming you're the age of an average student, aren't you a little old to be worrying about them sending a note home to your parents telling them that you've failed to deliver the goods?
Because we will be sending a very stern note indeed.

But it's alright since we love failures, because who doesn't like a student paying them twice for the one subject.

dYnaMiC7

HSC
Im in the same boat as you matey, however, on my paper it says we need a minimum of 50% in that prereq subject. We have pass concededs but I dont think that will do any good as I guess I have probably got 48% minimum, or most likely a 49% (unless they dont want to be tight and actually boost it up too 50%).

If i was to get say 38.9%/50 and 10.67%/50, are they going to add up the 10.67+38.9= together OR will they round them off to 39+11=?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
dYnaMiC7 said:
Im in the same boat as you matey, however, on my paper it says we need a minimum of 50% in that prereq subject. We have pass concededs but I dont think that will do any good as I guess I have probably got 48% minimum, or most likely a 49% (unless they dont want to be tight and actually boost it up too 50%).

If i was to get say 38.9%/50 and 10.67%/50, are they going to add up the 10.67+38.9= together OR will they round them off to 39+11=?
You should by now know what your marks are. Why are you using 'probably' and such? Results are available on SOLS.

I think the final mark is the mark that is rounded. 10.67 + 38.9 = 49.57 -> 50 (however this depends on the lecturer). Final marks are always rounded, as far as I know.

dYnaMiC7

HSC
poloktim said:
You should by now know what your marks are. Why are you using 'probably' and such? Results are available on SOLS.

I think the final mark is the mark that is rounded. 10.67 + 38.9 = 49.57 -> 50 (however this depends on the lecturer). Final marks are always rounded, as far as I know.
Sorry - I realised after I wrote it what I wrote was in the UOW forum (I did a quick search and found this topic, and I replied on it and yeh (and I dont go to UOW either)). If I was at UOW, given my situation, would they give me that extra mark or two to pass, or would htye fail me?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
dYnaMiC7 said:
Sorry - I realised after I wrote it what I wrote was in the UOW forum (I did a quick search and found this topic, and I replied on it and yeh (and I dont go to UOW either)). If I was at UOW, given my situation, would they give me that extra mark or two to pass, or would htye fail me?
I think they might just do the same thing. Add them up to 49.57 then round it up to 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)