Failing/struggling in the first year of uni ? (1 Viewer)

kietkiet

HSC
Is it normal for first years to struggle/fail some of their subjects within the first year ?

So far i'm somewhat coping with the material although I feel as though i'm slowly struggling as the course goes on.

When calculating GPA, does the first year weigh less than the years after ? I've heard this from a friend, but the same friend also thinks that it's okay to drink sea salt to quench your thirst (long story), so I don't know how credible his words are hahahaha.

matchalolz

HSC
hey, i'm not exactly a uni student, but i'm a year 11 student and i'm currently completing a first year uni computing subject. i'm finding it really challenging because at the start, i just could not balance it very well along with all my subjects at school, and now, although i'm making an effort to catch up, it's a little difficult as you can't really do the current things without completing the things from before :/
haha you're not alone! don't really know if other people struggle during first year

i'm not really sure about the GPA part sorry

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Different unis and faculties weight GPA/WAMs differently, some follow the method you've mentioned but majority don't weight it at all. Off the top of my head its usyd science faculty and unsw engineering (honours) that do it, based off subject level rather than the year you complete the subject in though. Seeing as you mentioned GPA which usyd or unsw don't use, I'd say its likely that your friend is mistaken but look it up on your uni and faculty site to be sure.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
If you are in law or engineering theres always massive drop out after first year. For law its mainly because people do law because they got a good atar and dont want to waste it and realise they were never cut out for it. For engineering its people underestimating how hard it actually is.

But overall there is a big amount of first years who find the going tough

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes because people who had their hand held throughout high school realise they can't do the same thing at uni

HSC
N/A
hey dude your not alone! Im a mature age student (I have a bachelor degree under my belt 10 years ago) but when i went back to uni, it feels like a marathon where everyone is keen to win. If you slow down you get left behind. thats what i always feel and hence the feelings of stress.but i treat it as a challenge. for me, its fight and not flight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)