Failing a subject in 1st Year ? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I know that this has probably been asked a million times, but what would happen if I were to fail a subject (MicroEconomics) this semester? Would I have to re-do the course next year? Would I be allowed to take my enrolled courses next term?

I am only asking this as last Friday I was unable to attend a tutorial presentation worth 10% due to the flu as well as an in class quiz (another 10%). I have a medical note, but I still worried about getting zero. Any guidance/comforting words would be very much appreciated. If I failed a unit I really don't know if I could cope, it would really put me off completing my degree. Maybe thats abit melodramatic ... :p

Jacks

HSC
if you fail a subject you have to re-do it...usually the next semester if it is available. You can continue with your program of study if the unit that you fail is not a core unit, or a pre- requisite for any of the subjects you would be continuing on with. What you have to do though is go to the student centre and fill out an internal special consideration form...they can't give you 0 if you have supporting documentation and have filled out the appropriate forms. Talk to your tutor asap though just to inform them of the situation if you haven't already, they will let you know what you have to do. You really are supposed to fill out the form 2 working days after the assessment but plead ignorance since you're a first year and it should be ok.

Actually there is a link to it online:

http://sites.uws.edu.au/students/admin/forms/current_forms/Special_Consideration.pdf

I believe that's the right one, but I've never needed to fill it out so just check with your tutor. Worst comes to worst even if you failed an assessment you could still pass the unit overall so don't worry...just try and do something as soon as you can.

Last edited:

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
you only have 4 days to fill in the misadventure form, and you have to have the misadventure>!! form signed by the doc and all the other information filled in and returned within 4 days OF THE DATE OF THE ASSIGNMENT!!

klh

HSC
as longas you dont fail half of the unit you do in a year e.g. FT with 8 subjects and you fail 4, than all you got to do is repeat the unit at the next available timeslot/semester. some i know just leave it and do it in their last semester, but sometimes its a prerequisite so its advisable to do it over asap.
but for the situation that you fail 4 subjects in a year, you are put on conditional enrolment and they drop you PT and you have to pass the repeated units of they cancel your enrolment. my friends in this sticky position now and i feel so sorry for him, what made it worse was he told me and not his parents yet. he siad they are scary....

theone123

blue essence
HSC
arh yes conditional enrolment, hehe, many other unis dont have this type of chance, fail half you units twice and your gonneeeeeeeeeeeee............

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I know someone who failed first year subject. Now hes doing 5 subjects this semester. You just need to get your subject co-ordinators approval to do 5 subjects - its easier than doing a 4th year with just one subject.

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
http://apps.uws.edu.au/uws/policies/ppm/doc/000022.html#PB1
The Certificate on the form can also be used to provide supporting documentation from other professionals such as psychiatrists, physiotherapists, registered psychologists, social workers and counsellors (for personal or family problems only). The application form is available on the web, or from all Student Centres. All applications must be lodged via the Student Centre no later than 5.00pm on the 2nd working day after the due date of the assessment (working days are defined as Monday to Friday, not including public holidays).
UH OH!!

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
If it's a core unit for your degree, you'll have to repeat it as some point (sooner rather than later). It's a good idea to check out the pre-req's for your other subjects, too. As Cape said, just get approval from your course head to undertake 5 subjects.

Chang

HSC
damn i have a decent chance of failing 2 core units already (unless i go really well in my assignments). I fink its kinda gay how they give us a 4 month holiday then all of a sudden expect us to get back our sleeping patterns and be able to study in an adult learning environment. I mean after the 4 month period everyone goes to uni with half the brain cells you had after you finished the hsc and they hardly teach you at all leaving you to do most of the work.

GTR

HSC
my friends in this sticky position now and i feel so sorry for him, what made it worse was he told me and not his parents yet. he siad they are scary...
Why feel sorry for that friend of yours? It was his own damn fault that he failed his units. I can assume that he didn't put any effort into his studies, and is now reaping the "benefits". It is the stupid and foolish people like your friend who are wasting the universities resources, and also tarnishing its already fucked reputation even further

GTR

HSC
Thats prolly why you dont have any friends.
And what makes you come to that conclusion?
Again Natstar is making a claim with no substance. I am sure everyone is used to it by now.
Thanks for the constructive post, Natstar. Again, you are setting a fine example for people on this board to follow.
Next time you walk through uni and find yourself asking why people are looking at you with a wry smile, maybe its because they recognise you from that butt ugly avatar of yours. Do yourself a favour and replace it with something a little more sensible.

GTR

HSC
look at ur last post
Just because i don't choose to blindly stick up for my friends, doesn't mean that i don't have any.

When people choose to stick up for their friends no matter what the circumstances or consequences are, i don't expect those people to be on the face of this planet for a very long time... You can sacrifice your life for a so called "friend" if you want to, but ultimately in the end, you are dead and he/she is still alive and well. You lose, your friend wins. You become a statistic. No more, no less.

But then again, Natstar, it seems that your life is all about statistics anyway. It seems that you post a horde of bullshit replies just to get your post count up. This means that my analogy may not apply to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)