Failing a final exam (1 Viewer)

ziggyboy

HSC
I have a strange feeling that I failed a final exam today (CSCI337). It's also supposed to be my final session if I pass all my subjects. Should I go talk to the lecturer now or wait for the official results to come out? More importantly, if I do fail the final exam is there a anything I can do about it? Anyone in a similar situation before? What should I do?

Btw, I'm a Golden Key member and have fairly decent marks but this subject if giving me the sh!ts.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Failing the final exam doesn't necessarily mean an F for that subject. As long as you did above average in all your other assessments, all you need to do is make up the difference.

Ninga

HSC
They may allow you to resit the exam if you fail but not by much. Or you never know, u might have enough marks to scrape thru with a PC or something, if you can get that in a 300 level subject. But I know a few people who have failed the final exam, but have had enough marks to pass through assessments and crap. They had to resit the final exam and pass it to pass the subject, otherwise they would have to redo the subject again. Again it depends on how much your final exam is worth, what the minimum mark is required in this exam to pass, and what your assessment marks add upto.

Golden key don't mean nothing if you fail mate. It won't sway your lecturers marking. Its just something that you stick on your resume, just remember that.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
You're best bet would be to go see your subject co-ordinator or your sub-dean, plead, beg, offer sexual favours in return... the staff are pretty compasionate people so if you failed by a little bit then you will probably be helped out.

And Golden Key is just like the SRC, throw it in your resume but nobody at UOW actually cares about it.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
On the topic of exams... why do I have an exam at the polish hall? You'd think they'd be able to find some free rooms since there are about 1000 of them.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
On the topic of exams... why do I have an exam at the polish hall? You'd think they'd be able to find some free rooms since there are about 1000 of them.
hahaha... I'm stuck in the Polish Hall on Friday for an exam.

Sucks doesn't it.

HSC
I don't think the fact that you're due to graduate is going to make a difference in marking, a fail is a fail regardless of whether it interrupts your life. Similarly, I think it's still a fail when someone from Golden Key fails, unless there's something going on there that I'm not aware of.

Remember to check the subject outline, some specify that you MUST pass all assessment components (exam included) to pass, while others will let you through as long as your total mark makes the cut.

I haven't failed anything (yet, here's to hoping on this trend being maintained), but from what I've gathered generally speaking people do the subject again (Next year).

You could always fake a suicide attempt, go to the doctor and get certified as having some serious shit that you're dealing with, then claim special consideration on the exam because you're a fruitloop, but if you go that route you'd best hurry because the longer you leave it the less believable it'll be.

jflores

HSC
Hey ziggyboy, I was in the unihall doing my csci124 exam. It's the last time "object programming" will run, next year its "applied programming" - apparently they are leaving c++ classes till 2nd year. Oh well 2 more years to go. I'm doing B. Internet Sci, so java here i come!

Ninga

HSC
Nope, they close the blinds. I think they also limit entry to the gym during your exam time, or something like that, I haven't been in the gym whilst an exam is on. But all the blinds are closed...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
You could always fake a suicide attempt, go to the doctor and get certified as having some serious shit that you're dealing with, then claim special consideration on the exam because you're a fruitloop, but if you go that route you'd best hurry because the longer you leave it the less believable it'll be.
I've faked deaths of family members, births and even my house burning down... but they were for assessments, I haven't had to lie to get myself out of exam fuckups yet.

I guess what is better than just trying to find a way around things when you fail, maybe you should just sit back and think to yourself 'wow, maybe I really should have put more effort in and tried harder' and then do that next semester you do it.

benno22

HSC
N/A
gmraso said:
fail a subject do it again the following year and then get the fail removed from your record by submitting a form to student admin with the reason that you've subseuently passed it this time.

so if i fail a subject, then redo it the next semester and pass it, admin will take off the fail grade from my record of the original attempt of the subject which i failed?

Ninga

HSC
Some nerd society. They offer membership to douchebags who are in the top 15% of their course i think.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, it's the nerd society... ironically they never actually get a key, and ever more ironic stilll, it doesn't really even open that many metaphorical doors for them either.

santaslayer

HSC
gmraso said:
After you submit the form and pay the fee. (this was explained to me by student admin so any questions talk to them)
So I can effectively have ZERO fail grades on my academic record?

Ninga

HSC
If you apply for post grad stuff you still need to say how many fail grades you got i think. Or maybe its when you apply for post grad scholarships. I had to do this the other week...but i dont have any fail grades :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I don't think the fact that you're due to graduate is going to make a difference in marking, a fail is a fail regardless of whether it interrupts your life. Similarly, I think it's still a fail when someone from Golden Key fails, unless there's something going on there that I'm not aware of.

Remember to check the subject outline, some specify that you MUST pass all assessment components (exam included) to pass, while others will let you through as long as your total mark makes the cut.

I haven't failed anything (yet, here's to hoping on this trend being maintained), but from what I've gathered generally speaking people do the subject again (Next year).

I had a similar idea yesterday. Except it was if you knew you'd fail before you did the exam.

Write "I want to die." and "Suicide is the answer for me." all over your exam papers, and hope they give you a resit in December after a visit to the counsellor/a psychologist. :)

santaslayer

HSC
gmraso said:
According to the student admin girl I talked to yere if you pay and submit this form they put the last mark you got in that subject.
Whoa..thats sounds nice...for all the failures out there anyway.

Must talk to admin girl next semester...

then go to all my friends...

i can make ur adademic record fail-less!!!

/....for a fucking fee...:p

I could be rich...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)