Failed HSC = Instant Death?? (1 Viewer)

mellarr

HSC
TBH when your parents say ull fail in life lets break that down:

You fail hsc (go to tafe) - become a plumber/sparky/carpenter - ull be struggling to buy a descent house $600 000sure ull buy a house in the south west/west but will strugle to make repayments

you fail hsc (65+ go to uws/macq doing arts/science/comm ull struggle to get a prof grad programe and hence will be doing odd jobs unrelated to ur course - strugle to get a house etc etc

asian parents talk the truth imo. theyve been there done that theyv struggled they dont want you too...
You win HSC, listening to your parents, going into the high paying jobs they force you to go to.

Time flies and you're 40 doing a job you hate, realising that the extra money you are earning has no meaning if you are not happy working in whatever field.

You see your classmates making a living of less income than yours yet they are happier because they have gone to uni and have done courses they have a passion for.

Contrary to what many believe, the HSC isn't the be all and end all. In any case it is by no means any measure of intelligence. The best strategy is to go into whatever you are best at and have the most passion for, in that case you will actually enjoy working and studying that subject.

How much you earn isn't the be all and end all. The reason why many people seek to earn money is to have a living where income isn't a restriction. But it gets to a point where any more money is meaningless because you won't spend it. Money in itself has no meaning, it is what you can do with it that has meaning. Unless you get some gratification in knowing you earn $X more than someone, then having all that extra money is completely useless, you would be better off working in a field that you find to be enjoyable.

SOOOOOOOOOO, if your parents want you to do Comm/Law or medicine at UNSW or USYD, take a step back and see whether YOU will be interested in that course because that's what you will be doing for the next 30-40 years of your life.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
a girl who finished at my school in 2004, which is selective, got 99.7

she currently lives on a train in Germany

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Lol i don't go there. You mean 89 is too low for you?
Yeah, 89 is too low for me. I would go into hibernation and never return to civilisation. I need 99.55 for my course, I'm determined to get it, and people are expecting so much from me. So 89 doesn't cut it.

muscleman09

HSC
Yeah, 89 is too low for me. I would go into hibernation and never return to civilisation. I need 99.55 for my course, I'm determined to get it, and people are expecting so much from me. So 89 doesn't cut it.

the only thing 89 will cut is ur wrist

HAHAHA

mellarr

HSC
I never said anything about "bludging" the HSC. I am just saying that you should never enter a course JUST because your parents tell you to and are only thinking of the 6 figure incomes and the housing investments you can make. I am doing engineering commerce because I am good at maths and have a passion for it. Applied maths will get me a good income and with that covered I see no reason to go into law (which my parents originally wanted me to do).

I myself only need 95 UAI for engineering/commerce but I am trying my hardest because I want to see what my limits are. I am hoping for 99.3+

You ought to try your hardest for the HSC, there is no excuse for bludging.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I never said anything about "bludging" the HSC. I am just saying that you should never enter a course JUST because your parents tell you to and are only thinking of the 6 figure incomes and the housing investments you can make. I am doing engineering commerce because I am good at maths and have a passion for it. Applied maths will get me a good income and with that covered I see no reason to go into law (which my parents originally wanted me to do).

I myself only need 95 UAI for engineering/commerce but I am trying my hardest because I want to see what my limits are. I am hoping for 99.3+

Engineering will be a bit more than just applied maths... a lot of lateral thinking, problem solving skills etc.:rofl:

Niek

HSC
I know plenty of people who have done AMAZINGLY in the HSC - over 99, got into their first choice at uni
and then they just lose it. Completely drop the bundle - depression, dropping out etc etc
because they pushed it too hard without having a goal in mind
so really, just work towards what YOU want
not worth trying to work towards what someone else wants you to get :)

good luck!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Only? ok.

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Failing the HSC is not the end of the world. There are alternate ways to the university degree you want, like UTS Insearch.

If you do fail, then you just have to cop some flack from the parents for a while, but it'll dissipate in time.

Don't worry.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
I actually saw this before... I was like, o_O... that's not something you can do in your sleep.
namu could. he's probably already gotten that even if he doesn't even attempt any trials or HSC exams.

Last edited:

tim_daniela

HSC
if ur not getting a UAI dont stress,
ive got a plan for next year which doesnt really involve me doing exceptionally well in any of my subjects but music, so thats what im focussing on, modern history is ridiculously too much to remember, PDHPE is just an all round joke, and english i manage to bullshit through and still get 70-90%.. so if this is the case, i wouldnt worry about it, plus if ur really that shit and get a mystery mark for one of ur subjects, u get a free drink at the pub! :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I am just saying that you should never enter a course JUST because your parents tell you to and are only thinking of the 6 figure incomes and the housing investments you can make.
This, while there's nothing wrong with wanting a high income, most people who don't have at least a bit of actual healthy interest in the subject get destroyed at uni.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
if ur not getting a UAI dont stress,
ive got a plan for next year which doesnt really involve me doing exceptionally well in any of my subjects but music, so thats what im focussing on, modern history is ridiculously too much to remember, PDHPE is just an all round joke, and english i manage to bullshit through and still get 70-90%.. so if this is the case, i wouldnt worry about it, plus if ur really that shit and get a mystery mark for one of ur subjects, u get a free drink at the pub! :)
Modern is my "low content" subject XD

This, while there's nothing wrong with wanting a high income, most people who don't have at least a bit of actual healthy interest in the subject get destroyed at uni.
Agreed. I hope all the idiots wanting to do med/be a lawyer for money get obliterated :jedi:

Bites

HSC
I know i'm going to get like a 55 ATAR haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)