Extras (1 Viewer)

astro

HSC
I'm just wondering how people actually become extras for movies and television shows.
This girl told me that you have to be model material and go to an acting school or have a degree in acting. Is this true?

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i know a few who have gotten to be extras thru going to those sort of schools. But i don't think there is any sort of 'must have' list. I think its just generally, apply and go from there.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
No way!
You can waste your life and money on going to drama schools...but think logically...would you go thru allll that just to appear for 2 seconds in the background, and get paid like 50bucks!?

Go to Centralcasting at Fox Studios. They run extras listing - seriously, you dont need experience...because you aren't really doing anything too artistic or dramatic...

BTW you don't have to be drop dead georgous to be an extra - although it might help. lol

santaslayer

HSC
If you look at the casual employment section of SMH......they constantly need extras in movies or advertisments. They say the would like 'all shapes and sizes'......LoLz, guessing here that looks dont really matter if your an extra.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ yeah u dontneed experience to be an extra, one of my frienz was one she had to go to like a games arcade and just play a game in the background while they shot a movie. she said it was soooooo boring coz she just had to play and couldnt turn around to look at the actors n stuff

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
1 of my friends is gonna be an extra in home n away, hes gonna be in the monday 26th of april episode

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
you don't need an agent to be a shitty extra.
Like I said before - head down to Fox Studios central casting and sign up for a casual extra job.

But, if you wanna be an actor/talent whatever steer clear of those SMH adverts. (especially the one that says "established 37 years - yes, established in the stealing and swindling of ppl's money for 37 years!!!)
They are the fake thing! (speaking from experience) The minute you call up or turn up, you are expected to give them a joining fee and a fee on top of that for your headshots - I went down to Sydney one time and I had to join for $100 then I had to pay a further $120 for my "headshots" .....My headshots were done with a cheap ass digital camera and my proof sheet was a crappy black and white print out (with those blank lines and all) of my crap pictures I could have done myself while complety high on crank!!!
- if they ever ask you for a joining fee kick them in the neck and run away...but make sure they havent already stolen your wallet!

REAL agencies don't need to advertise - they are successfully run by their reputations.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i know some ppl who do drama courses and acting courses. they mostly get extra work for h&A, neighbours and small independent aussie movies...

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
nah you dont...my brother's gf and her sisters got to be extras in matrix... cuz they were looking for asian people

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MissMacbeth
But, if you wanna be an actor/talent whatever steer clear of those SMH adverts. (especially the one that says "established 37 years - yes, established in the stealing and swindling of ppl's money for 37 years!!!)
They are the fake thing! (speaking from experience) The minute you call up or turn up, you are expected to give them a joining fee and a fee on top of that for your headshots - I went down to Sydney one time and I had to join for $100 then I had to pay a further $120 for my "headshots" .....My headshots were done with a cheap ass digital camera and my proof sheet was a crappy black and white print out (with those blank lines and all) of my crap pictures I could have done myself while complety high on crank!!!
- if they ever ask you for a joining fee kick them in the neck and run away...but make sure they havent already stolen your wallet!

REAL agencies don't need to advertise - they are successfully run by their reputations.

yeah they asked me for an extra 220 bucks for some modelling photoshoot or something when I told them I just wanted a casual job as an extra!

astro

HSC
Originally posted by MissMacbeth

Go to Centralcasting at Fox Studios. They run extras listing - seriously, you dont need experience...because you aren't really doing anything too artistic or dramatic...

Where is Centralcasting? Is there a number i have to ring that's listed in the telephone books or do i have to actually go to Fox studios?

Ashleet

HSC
they used to film the farm parts for always greener not far from my school, for extras they used to advertise by putting up some flyers in the local stores and stuff - but you're better off going to a casting agency for any of the decent jobs

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I think it's better to call Fox Studios or go down there and tell them what you want to do - they should point you in the right direction.

chardie2

I have been doing this type of thing since I was about four. All you need is an agent which will cost you about $150 a year and they will connect you with the work or the castings for bigger roles such as guest roles and commercials.

I am not sure if C for casting at Fox takes listing as they are actually aren't actually an agency they conduct castings (auditions).

Therefore two names I can recommend for definate home and away extra work is:
Brent Street and Joan Gibson.

Once you speak to them they will ask you to come for an interview they will see if your suitable to be in their books and then you will get a photo taken.

You definately do not need to be model material because extras are people who are meant to fill in the background space and make it appear to be realistic. All you need is confidence!

Good luck.

Let me know how you go.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
couldn't have said it better chardie2 !

Wow! since being 4 is a long time!
What stuff have you done?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)