Extras in movies, films, commercials, etc (1 Viewer)

click here

to see my profile
HSC
I was just wondering if these types of jobs are worth applying for? If anyone has ever done this type of work, how was it? How is the pay and what do you do?

I'm thinking about applying since it looks easy but I'm not quite sure...

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Haha... when you see the little green mustang flying down martin place in the upcoming Superman movie, I'll be in a few of those scenes.

..but that's all, for now.

The money, apparently is good. I was wandering around with my hands in my pockets from 5pm to 5am: quite long and EVEYRONe (including crew) was buggered, but I assume the money will be good. Not paid yet -- apparently it'll be a while (maybe till the production is finished or something), but I'll let you know when I am, how much it was.

Apparently if you get "50-worder's" -- those roles where you say a sentence or two, (ie the cop talking to the main character, etc), you get a lot more, and then more again for being a main person in an ad, etc...

All in all, it's not somthing I'd say was easy. Just like every job, it's got it's ups and downs I'd imagine. It's a bit of fun, when it happens, but it goes on forever (ie wait around for 30 minutes on your feet, then take 10 seconds of film, wait another 30 minutes for them to reset and try again, take 5 seconds of film, wait around for another 30 mins.... you get the drill), and you don't have much control over it (ie you're mostly ignored, just told what to do, and they don't care about you as long as you do just that and don't get in the way... if you're feeling sick and want to go home, bad luck: your stuff is in another room, and you'll have to wait till everyone else is ready to go.), but it's a bit of fun.

Also, talking to the people on set, don't put your name down with the big agencies (ie "Extras"), becuase they've got thousands of people on the books, and don't care about you as an individual.. apparently you'll get more for your commission (you pay about 10% to your agent, apparently) with the smaller agencies - they try harder to get you placements, so you're happy with them and stay with them.

Don't give up your day job, though. :cool:

kaylz

HSC
How did you get into that, skittled?

7th Sign

HSC
my mate does it for extras in liek any tennis commercial he picks up around 800 bucks for the whole shoot....he is in the layton hewit add where they go wheres the toilet paper or somethin he is the kid who slides it in the middle of the court....he is also in other adds to do with tennis :| apparently its really long days like 3 full on days to shoot the add.....he got into it through someone his mum knew or something...you really need to know people to get into most ok tv jobs.....

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
kaylz said:
How did you get into that, skittled?
I work in retail, and had a nice customer, so I was being nice back... eventually she said she was doing a whole lot of printing and I suggested a way she could save money at it, even though it meant directing her to the competition (I'm not worried about mystery shoppers: Dick Smith can't even invest in security cameras to stop laptops being regularly stolen and cabinets being broken into, let alone spend money on checking quality of service)... anyway, eventually she said she was really thankful for the advice, and gave me the number for her agent.

7th Sign said:
he got into it through someone his mum knew or something...you really need to know people to get into most ok tv jobs.....
Talking to the people at superman, it seems to be very much like that. Kinda like there are a lot of famous actors and actresses that aren't particularly talented or good looking, but they're still gazillionaries due to knowing someone in hollywood.

Apparently at one of the big shoots (like, 1600+ extras) there were all these "hot blondes" (quote the guy I was talking to) who tried to get their way to the front of the crowd so that they'd be seen on camera and get their "big break" :rolleyes: ... then the assistant directors came along and gave them specific instructions to stay at the back of the crowd to keep them away from the cameras so that they'll not be seen, because they were "too pretty" to be extras, but -I assume- didn't know the people to really get much further.

From there, a lot of the better roles, you need to know someone who knows someone, or have a good agent, apparently. It's all very clique-ey, as one of the ladies I was talking to said. Noone says much, or offers much, so you've really just gotta know a lot of people.

That said, I'm sure there's nothing stopping you from looking up an agent in the yellow pages and putting your name on the list. The agents frown on you being with multiple agencies, though, even if it does increase your chances of getting a job...

julius

Banned
HSC
I've been an extra on a Home and Away offshoot called Headland. You have to pay an extras agency and you aren't guaranteed work. I'd look for work somewhere else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)