Extracurricular Activities (1 Viewer)

boredofstudies61

HSC
What extracurricular activities did you do throughout high school, particularly in Y11 and Y12?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Re: Extracurricular

Musicals, plays, band (clarinet), singing (choir + vocal ensemble), feel like I'm forgetting something

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
y11/12: first aid cadets, yearbook committee, charity work
junior years: piano, magazine committee, mentoring, charity work, tech conferences, programming events/robotic clubs, hs1917

boredofstudies61

HSC
y11/12: first aid cadets, yearbook committee, charity work
junior years: piano, magazine committee, mentoring, charity work, tech conferences, programming events/robotic clubs, hs1917
Any particular examples of the charity work you done? Also what was the mentoring for?

Thank you

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Agree with this. hahhahaah anyway seriously though I did a few things like volunteering at the local temple with some programs, there was some tutoring program at my school to help younger years helped out with that, played soccer and cricket for like 8 years till rip tore my ACL, I guess mentoring in a way lol helped out lots of my peers (like way beyond just like answering one or two questions).

If you have like two or three that are solid you're good to go (assuming you're applying for scholarships normally thats like one or two questions), the rest good to have like a big project or something you worked on (I had some international bridges project), leadership (soccer vice captain and cricket captain just anything really lol), some teamwork activity you were apart of like a robots project for me.

Marks are important too so try to get as high as possible in the relevant areas that scholarship is assessing (or just overall go well).

If you need any help with like those scholarship applications let me know got offered three :)

boredofstudies61

HSC
Agree with this. hahhahaah anyway seriously though I did a few things like volunteering at the local temple with some programs, there was some tutoring program at my school to help younger years helped out with that, played soccer and cricket for like 8 years till rip tore my ACL, I guess mentoring in a way lol helped out lots of my peers (like way beyond just like answering one or two questions).

If you have like two or three that are solid you're good to go (assuming you're applying for scholarships normally thats like one or two questions), the rest good to have like a big project or something you worked on (I had some international bridges project), leadership (soccer vice captain and cricket captain just anything really lol), some teamwork activity you were apart of like a robots project for me.

Marks are important too so try to get as high as possible in the relevant areas that scholarship is assessing (or just overall go well).

If you need any help with like those scholarship applications let me know got offered three :)
Thank you! I mainly wanted to know the extra curricular activities others participated in because I feel like next year is my last chance in participating in as much as possible, and one of my teachers was saying how someone she knew how to give in a tonnnnnnn to get a scholarship.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you! I mainly wanted to know the extra curricular activities others participated in because I feel like next year is my last chance in participating in as much as possible, and one of my teachers was saying how someone she knew how to give in a tonnnnnnn to get a scholarship.
Oh right yeah, it depends on the scholarship since there are categories like if its in science or engineering probably going to academic based + just a little bit of like showing your not all marks.

If it's in like a sport based - sporting achievements

leadership based - gotta show you were a captain and all that other stuff that is available in schools and outside

those are about the main ones

boredofstudies61

HSC
Oh right yeah, it depends on the scholarship since there are categories like if its in science or engineering probably going to academic based + just a little bit of like showing your not all marks.

If it's in like a sport based - sporting achievements

leadership based - gotta show you were a captain and all that other stuff that is available in schools and outside

those are about the main ones
Also what other examples of "big projects" as you mentioned earlier are there?

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Any particular examples of the charity work you done? Also what was the mentoring for?
One of my acquaintances posted about a new charity on facebook, so I hit them up and asked if they wanted me to make a website for them (so you see, if you wanna do stuff, you gotta make opportunities for yourself/grab them when you see them!!!!!!!)
I also volunteered for my local azn community by offering free homework help, organising events for smol kids. And I volunteered for Legacy Day (sold badges at places).

As for mentoring, our school has this thing where they pair up senior students with junior students to help 'wellbeing' etc

tbh even without extracurricular activities, for scholarship/cadetship questions like 'outline a situation in which you took initiative/demonstrated leadership/teamwork etc' you can easily extrapolate things from school if you've participated in group activities e.g. my school has PBL projects (basically group work) and I talked about how I took initiative to overcome major issues like people not pulling their weight etc, we had a talent quest and my group struggled with agreeing on an activity so I stepped in and etc etc etc

but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND JOINING ST JOHN FIRST AID CADETS!!! first aid is important yo :C + with a 2 hr/week dedication it's not much and you'll have heaps to talk about in your scholarship!!!

Last edited:

boredofstudies61

HSC
One of my acquaintances posted about a new charity on facebook, so I hit them up and asked if they wanted me to make a website for them (so you see, if you wanna do stuff, you gotta make opportunities for yourself/grab them when you see them!!!!!!!)
I also volunteered for my local azn community by offering free homework help, organising events for smol kids. And I volunteered for Legacy Day (sold badges at places).

As for mentoring, our school has this thing where they pair up senior students with junior students to help 'wellbeing' etc

tbh even without extracurricular activities, for scholarship/cadetship questions like 'outline a situation in which you took initiative/demonstrated leadership/teamwork etc' you can easily extrapolate things from school if you've participated in group activities e.g. my school has PBL projects (basically group work) and I talked about how I took initiative to overcome major issues like people not pulling their weight etc, we had a talent quest and my group struggled with agreeing on an activity so I stepped in and etc etc etc

but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND JOINING ST JOHN FIRST AID CADETS!!! first aid is important yo :C + with a 2 hr/week dedication it's not much and you'll have heaps to talk about in your scholarship!!!
Thank you! This was very helpful.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I joined a committee at school that organises charity events and raises awareness for various issues.
Also part of the leadership group.
Did debating in yr10 but thats about it

boredofstudies61

HSC
I joined a committee at school that organises charity events and raises awareness for various issues.
Also part of the leadership group.
Did debating in yr10 but thats about it
Wish my school had something like a group that organises charity events.. btw good luck with your HSC!

hrithikroshan

HSC

Hey just wondering, what temple and programs did you volunteer for? I'm Hindu myself so I was looking for volunteering work :)

Frostguard

HSC
What do you do for peer support? Don't have that at my school
Peer Support was basically Year 10 students leading groups of Year 7 students transition into their first term of high school, I had about 9 kids, 8 were good except that one kid who kept corrupting everyone else and in the end I had to bribe them with chocolate.... I swear some of them are evil..... I also did outside volunteering too, I participate in my local council's volunteer events eg Relay for Life and Moon Festival and I also participate in my own school club called the Sprouts where we focus on environmentally friendly fundraisers. These sorts of events are really good for learning new skills and making connections, inside and outside of school, I've made a lotta university friends just from these events. In my opinion, if you don't have work experience, at least get volunteer experience, I'm sure it'll help you...somehow... (still not really sure about how volunteering is gonna help me get a job lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)