Extra years at high school (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I hope this isn't a stupid question!!!
I have read that they take into account extra years at high school when considering the middle band of applicants? I am in Year 10 ( easy at my school in VIC- no exams! I'm moving back to Sydney next year!) and am considering after completing Year 11 to go on high school exchange to Argentina for a year. I would have to repeat the year I missed upon my return. How would this affect my chances? If I achieved a really high UAI and went really well in the UMAT and interview ( I'd love to go to UNSW, but I know with med, sometimes it's so hard to get in that you have to take what you can get!) I would still have a good chance right? It only affects the middle band?
Again, I hope this isn't too stupid a question!
Thanks!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
When they say "taking into account extra time at high school", they usually refer to people on pathways who may have decided to take to years for year 12 or something to maximise their performance. Now normally pathways is only for people who NEED the leeway (ie trouble at home, severe illness, hectic sporting/performing career) but if you somehow managed to swing it without any of these "needs" the universities are saying that they can "take that into account". No unfair advantages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)