• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

External units and eStudent (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I am an external unit virgin... but I am being broken in for Law Ethics. And I am confused. I am registered in the class (I have verified with eStudent), but it wont let me enrol in the on-campus session... instead, the class is 'full', and thus wont let me enrol in the on-campus session.

Is this normal for external units? You dont actually have to enrol? I've read somewhere that all you have to do is make sure you fill out the paperwork at the on-campus session, rather than enrol as such on eStudent. But I'm freaking out; can someone please verify this for me??

:eek:

Ta my lovelies! :D

X

xeuyrawp

I didn't know you enrolled in the on-campus session... I've never had to for the 3 units I've done externally.

Unless your unit is different to the ones I've done, you just need to find out when the on-campus session is, rock up, and sign your name there.

Kegs

HSC
I had to enroll for mine this semester, but never before.

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
I am an external unit virgin... but I am being broken in for Law Ethics. And I am confused. I am registered in the class (I have verified with eStudent), but it wont let me enrol in the on-campus session... instead, the class is 'full', and thus wont let me enrol in the on-campus session.

Is this normal for external units? You dont actually have to enrol? I've read somewhere that all you have to do is make sure you fill out the paperwork at the on-campus session, rather than enrol as such on eStudent. But I'm freaking out; can someone please verify this for me??

:eek:

Ta my lovelies! :D
isn't legal ethics semester 2?

i've never done external either.

im gonna ask people when uni starts and hopefully have it settled by semester 2.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
notmally yes there should be the option to register, as if you were registering in a tute. i'd just contact the convenor and ask them. they won't not let you come though - it's a similar situation to when the one and only lecture session is full -the convenor just has to add more spaces so more students can register.

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
notmally yes there should be the option to register, as if you were registering in a tute. i'd just contact the convenor and ask them. they won't not let you come though - it's a similar situation to when the one and only lecture session is full -the convenor just has to add more spaces so more students can register.
So that's the norm?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
IWR - Yep, its second semester, I'm just freaking out about it now.

Ta IAB and Rob; I will email the convenor and ask them about it. But I guess because I am enrolled according to eStudent, they cant refuse to let me attend.

Stress! Bah!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't worry about it. Legal Ethics is external only, so you just enrol in the unit and rock up. (The hourglass should appear full). The on-campus session is 2 full days of lectures in the mid sem break, with the only difference being you have to sign on in the morning at COE.

I'm not sure how much Michael Brogan would know about, considering it's an e-student issue, but I guess it's worth an email.

Edit: I did Legal Ethics last year. Once you've added it to your program by end of first week sem 2(!) you don't need to worry. You'll get a unit outline mailed out to you with the on-campus date and time.

Note, it's also a complete BS unit. 100% final exam...2 days of classes, 3 days of reading/study should get you through.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:
So that's the norm?
from memory of my time with uni enrolment people, yes. but i can't remember for sure if it was for every subject.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
from memory of my time with uni enrolment people, yes. but i can't remember for sure if it was for every subject.
Hmm, I've never heard of that before. Certainly not the case with law units.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
GoodToGo said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Legal Ethics is external only, so you just enrol in the unit and rock up. (The hourglass should appear full).
This is why I'm confused. eStudent tells me I'm enrolled when I click on that 'what classes you have for 2007', and told me in the email, but my hourglass is totally empty.:confused:

GoodToGo said:
Note, it's also a complete BS unit. 100% final exam...2 days of classes, 3 days of reading/study should get you through.
Great to know! Is the final exam an essay? I thought I heard someone once talking about a BS essay for ethics... I would have thought they could get more out of you giving you a dodgy lawyer senario.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Great to know! Is the final exam an essay? I thought I heard someone once talking about a BS essay for ethics... I would have thought they could get more out of you giving you a dodgy lawyer senario.
It's 1 theoretical essay and 1 hypothetical. 50% each. A few years ago it was just multiple choice. The marks are really arbitrary as well... an unusually high number of high P's and low Credits.

absent

on so many levels
HSC
I have an external subject for this semster. Was automatically enrolled in the on campus session, but my hourglass appears only half full? Emailed eStudent, and they were absolutely useless!!

Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)