external HD making funny noises (1 Viewer)

vds700

HSC
I've had the drive (WD My Book 320 GB) for about 3 years. Recently, when I turn my PC on, it spins up, makes a few loud clicking noises and then spins down, does this several times while windows is booting. It also sometimes does it while im using the computer, but not accessing files on the drive (I dont open the drive much, its really only for backup).

Is this a sign the drive's in trouble and could fail?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
To be sure, back it up to another External.

It might need defragging. The reader might be shooting all over the place trying to join packets of information and there are huge gaps.

Or the drive has probably just come loose inside the casing, in which case you should buy a new one, or try and fix it.

vds700

HSC
Yeah I have backed it all up to another external just to be safe

I'll try defragging and see what happens

When I move the drive, can't hear any rattling noises so don't think anything is loose inside the casing

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I've had the drive (WD My Book 320 GB) for about 3 years. Recently, when I turn my PC on, it spins up, makes a few loud clicking noises and then spins down, does this several times while windows is booting. It also sometimes does it while im using the computer, but not accessing files on the drive (I dont open the drive much, its really only for backup).

Is this a sign the drive's in trouble and could fail?
Yes.
The exact sound I got with an older computer's HDD in its last few moments of its working life.
Better back up your stuff before your files go into oblivion or you may need to seek a professional data recovery service who may charge you thousands of dollars just to recover megabytes of data.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
The drive is dying physically, however I have 2 noisy drives which are 7 years old and they continue to operate OK. Noisy but still running...

waza_

HSC
Maybe the fault is having it plugged in all the time? I heard that if you keep your external hdd's are always plugged in over time it destroys it by over heating or something

If someone could give me a bit more knowledge on that situation I would be grateful =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)