External Editing (1 Viewer)

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
After todays events and the general bitchiness of my female supervisor/head teacher/entire staff I was wondering what the board's expectation of editing would be?

I am, and have been, quite anti-letting my teachers get there grubby mitts on my work and correcting sentence structure/wording etc. but they seem to be adament that it must be done atleast once by every member of the english faculty.

Surely this is unscrupulus!

Might just be me but in my opinion once someone else alters my work it is no longer my own.

They didn't get to edit my work and in a possibly hormone driven outburst today said they did not want to sign off on what I had done because they didnt get the chance to correct any mistakes i'd made.

Isn't it supposed to be an independant body of work? I didn't think they were even allowed to help you out in that sort of way, nor do I think they should be.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
They're just being...clingy I suppose. Just push and they'll deal with it. I think though with your time constraints, you are gonna need someone to check over the grammar and wording for you but if you really think your teacher is gonna be a bit too trigger happy then try to get an external opinion from someone else.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
No one is allowed to edit your work definitively. They can make little marks all over your MW, but it's your choice as to what advice you take on. They will sign it though, I don't think they'd dare not to...

timmay05

HSC
The signing off on it indicates that they agree that the work is your own! Did you speak to your mentor/teacher at least semi-regularly during the course? If so then they have minimal gorunds to say they wont...

They cant deny u it because you wouldnt let them edit it

Insouciance

HSC
After seeing what my stand-in teacher has done to my poor reflection statement, I fully agree. Just go with your gut instinct.

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Well its all over and done with now, i picked up what seems to be all of the grammer and spelling errors.

Heading off to parra officeworks in a few miniutes to laminte the front and back pages then bind the thing. You guys reckon normal plastic binds or ring bound? I'm prob gonna go ring because it can be doubled over onto itself.

Yes there was regular contact and such, but my teachers believed they havn't played a big enough role in the composition and editing of my work to actually deem it submittable. Bunch of tools.

It will be sent tomorrow but they won't be happy about it.

I hate our teachers.

Insouciance

HSC
I believe there is a special firey, lava-based part of hell reserved for crappy English teachers. My stand-in teacher (my normal EE2 teacher is the head of 2 departments, and in the middle of setting exams for 3 year groups) has written off one of my concepts "as technical, and above all, insiginificant to the overall piece."

*stabsmaimskills* She has NO idea. My EE2 teacher and I discussed this thoroughly at every possibly angle. Agh.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
that's why you should only take on board what advice you WANT to. personally, i wanted as much feedback as i could possibly get from my teachers, and the more people that read it and react to it, the more idea you'll have as to how markers will react to it.

edit: but just cos i got a lot of feedback doesn't mean i used it all or made all the changes that were suggested. it's still MY work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)