EXTENTION JAPANESE sugestion (1 Viewer)

snoopy05

HSC
hey, im wondering ing...

does everyone here who does japanese extention does advanced english?
because, im curntly in yr11 ( term 4), and i asked my head teacher of language, and she even asks me if i do advanced english, i do.. but im kinda like below average, and i've also heard some people mention being good in english can help in beeing good in japanese.. i can see that, but is it really??

and also, how did u guys made it to extention japanese, cus my school, they said, that there's a chance that i won't make it, cus i'll be taking up 1 unit of language, resulting a disadvantage for a yr10 student, who will take up a full language course.. because, a school is limited for students to learn languages.. something like that..

what do u suggest me to do ?

and, if u rate the work of japanese continuers compared to 4 unit.. how would u rate it ?

thnx

-helpless person

k_i_mm_i

HSC
snoopy05 said:
hey, im wondering ing...

does everyone here who does japanese extention does advanced english?
because, im curntly in yr11 ( term 4), and i asked my head teacher of language, and she even asks me if i do advanced english, i do.. but im kinda like below average, and i've also heard some people mention being good in english can help in beeing good in japanese.. i can see that, but is it really??

and also, how did u guys made it to extention japanese, cus my school, they said, that there's a chance that i won't make it, cus i'll be taking up 1 unit of language, resulting a disadvantage for a yr10 student, who will take up a full language course.. because, a school is limited for students to learn languages.. something like that..

what do u suggest me to do ?

and, if u rate the work of japanese continuers compared to 4 unit.. how would u rate it ?

thnx

-helpless person

Hey, being good at english is in fact a huge advantage when doing extension languages, because doing extension languages is like doing english but in that language. (kind of)

In the exam, there are 3 sections. Kinda like the first paper for english advanced. Section one requires you to analyze, deconstruct and synthesize the text given (novel, movie - whatever ur doing) section 2 - creative writing based on the text (dialogue, diary, speech, letter) and section 3 is like an essay response to issues, (in this case - jap ext: overcoming personal difficulties, impact of technology, group vs individual)

you have to be able to know and structure your essays well and plus u gotta write in sophisticated japanese too.

I'm doing ext french and jap, when i was in yr 11, they thought i was crazy but I was sure that I could handle it (even though it resulted in me dropping 3u maths). -i dun like maths anyway

Both teachers discouraged me to do it - the french one said that if i wasn't doing EXTENSION ENGLISH then i should FORGET about doing extension french. the Japanese teacher said that the extension languages programme is much more challenging that it ever was, because they just redid the whole syllabus.

I reckon, The teachers also are (usually) reluctant to teach this course beacuse it is actually HARD...some of them have no idea HOW to teach it! hahaha...
Luckily the evil old japanese teacher left and we got a new one who is extremely good at analyzing and very skilled in japanese too.

However, i'm averagin at about 90 something in jap ext and 80 somethin in french ext.

So, do it if ur teacher is good (or u have a tutor), u r willing to put in HEAPS of effort and if u r good at analyzing, thinking of ideas, deconstructing, creative and are actually at a pretty good standard in japanese (averaging at about 90-95) + u gotta love the work and the language.

Well these are just my opinions, u should ask other ppl as well

good luck! ;)

snoopy05

HSC
wow, that's supreme, but what do you mean, " when i was in yr11" ? did u do those extention subjects in yr11 ??

and, lexi, sorry, i mean 4Unit Math~ heheh,

and thnx ! that kinda helped.. but, XD. my head teacher of language, and plus, my deputy.. they kinda don't understand student's desires~ :haha:

k_i_mm_i

HSC
snoopy05 said:
wow, that's supreme, but what do you mean, " when i was in yr11" ? did u do those extention subjects in yr11 ??

and, lexi, sorry, i mean 4Unit Math~ heheh,

and thnx ! that kinda helped.. but, XD. my head teacher of language, and plus, my deputy.. they kinda don't understand student's desires~ :haha:

Sorry that should have been: "I'm doing ext jap and french." (full stop) When I was in yr 11...ahaha

btw hope ur allowed to do it! all the best~

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i think it's very useful to be good at english in order to handle ext jap. However i'm only doing standard english but still managed to get a very high trial mark. There are also other people in my japext class but do standard english and they too are doing very well.
so as long as ur english isn't attrocious then u'll be fine doing japext

snoopy05

HSC
mushroom_head said:
i think it's very useful to be good at english in order to handle ext jap. However i'm only doing standard english but still managed to get a very high trial mark. There are also other people in my japext class but do standard english and they too are doing very well.
so as long as ur english isn't attrocious then u'll be fine doing japext

phew! that's a relief, cus i've been getting below average in my advanced english class, and now that yr12 start, this frontline thing are already bringing me trouble XD

well, but compared to 4U math, what do you reckon of it? i heard you'd have to spend around the same amount of work with 4U math? is that true?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I don't think so. You just need to be willing to spend a bit of time every day in Japanese, as opposed to living conics for a year.

It's not that hard if you ENJOY Japanese. A friend and I used to read manga, others would watch anime without subtitles, and the more boring people would do what they do for everything, practice papers.

snoopy05

HSC
yeah i know what u mean! i do enjoy japanese as much as killing a mocking bird! and plus, my japanese teacher is.. fairly nice, and she gets out of topic a lot! if u know what i mean,

and yeah! japanese is basicaly the best subject this school can offer ! hehehe

but how would you rate the work needed compared to 4U math?

snoopy05

HSC
OMG !!!
this is getting intense day by day!
i just got my report for english (ADV) and as soon as i present that to the sort-of-the-language-organiser, she got concerned straight away, cus i got such a terrible mark + ranking. i got 32/41 students in english ADV.
and now there's even a lower chance that ill be doing japanese ext!
stupid public school!
they can only let a few people doing correspondence language. this sux !
and so the language-organiser keeps whinging on how i'll be disadvantaging other people who might wanna do correspondence language , as japanese ext1 is a single unit subject.

what do you suggest i do ?

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
one of my friends did extension japanese for a few weeks. then she decided she didn't like it and dropped it =P

and .. um.. i don't really get how.. it's gona .. "disadvantage" other people.

snoopy05

HSC
cus like, if i do japanese ext1, im taking a place of a correspondence place just for the sake of 1unit subject, while the other guy would be missing out on 2unit correspondence subject.

its kinda stupid... but i think they should prioritise ext1 people more !! :)

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
we;ll i can see that you're already doing Jap through OHS.

i was very eager and truly desired to do Jap EXt once i thought about it.. i heard about it, and said "YES IM DOING IT!" at the start of yr 11!

you shouldn't think so much about another person being disadvantaged just bc you wanna do Jap ext despite having crap english marks. just do it. screw them... ur a hsc student!!! i was talking to the principal about my situation just over a year ago... and i kept on mentoining MY HSC MY HSC MY HSC I LOVE JAP I LOVE JAP IM DOING IT IM DOING IT... and nothing quite stopped me. =p

principals can really suck at times.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
oh, and it helps if u say its absolutely essential for ur career coz u wanna become some translator shit...dont bribe them.. Scare Them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)