Extension Science 2019 (1 Viewer)

akaalfauj

HSC
I'm making this thread because there is no other thread regarding the new course, Extension Science, which will be running next year for year 12 students.
I'm doing Extension Science beginning next term although there is no useful information I could find out about it. (It is a new course after all) However, I'm interested in how many people are interested in this course (quite a few people in my school contemplating whether they should do it or not).

So who else is interested?

TeheeCat

HSC
Haha I actually considering taking science extension but decided not to in the end :x I'm already doing 3U maths and I think doing two extensions is quite daunting. Perhaps others can handle it but I know I personally can't handle the workload at all. Though, I think it is truly a good opportunity if you're willing to put effort into it.

Apparently science extension will be first course to have an online HSC exam. Here's an article I found about it:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/keeping-up-with-the-times-hsc-moves-online-20180823-p4zzct.html

It seems pretty cool but hopefully no technology issues occur haha

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you guys go to selective schools? Interested to hear about which schools are offering it.

TeheeCat

HSC
Do you guys go to selective schools? Interested to hear about which schools are offering it.
I sadly don't go to a selective high school. My school's ranking is actually in the 300s ^^;

But our prinicipal is willing to run it as long as there are enough students interested. I think around 10-15 students in my year group signed up.

ahri

HSC
Lmao I go to a selective school and I know quite a few selective schools are not running it simply because too many people would take it. But from what I asked from my head teacher, he said that it would involve working closely with a teacher to work on your project, but also the school hiring a university lecturer/ professional to speak and provide guidance on your project. Sounds interesting though.

sicklad200

HSC
I'll most likely be doing - my school is still debating if we will run it.

HSC
Lmao I've been waiting for this course since year 10... whoops. But yep, I'm doing it next year and I'm so so excited hehe.

Milo_

HSC
I am interested in Extension Science, the school was offering it, but not a lot of students wanted to do the course (like a max of 5 people only including myself, 2 of which were definitely going to do it). So ultimately they cancelled it

Who knows, it might be brought back into topic, not sure to be honest. Does sound intriguing.

RicoBurrito

HSC
Yeah I'll be doing it, that's if I get accepted. Unlike other ext subjects, this will be based on aptitude rather than grades throughout your chosen science subject/s. Then again academic profile still counts. It's just that are you really willing to take the effort into fulfilling a major that such scientists today would similarly also be doing? From my perspective, taking Science Extension is really risky as resources are very limited like past papers (from what I've heard it's a major and also an end of year exam), actual resources similar to this course; like using GSCE, IB, SAT or AICE, etc (Bitsize and Youtube channels that don't cover HSC purely but at least cover some syllabus points like Crash Course, Khan Academy etc). And also teachers are doing this course too for the first time which is another thing to consider. Also here's the syllabus from NESA to read before Year 12 2019 begins and to familiarise yourself with the content.

http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a...n-stage-6-syllabus-2017.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

That's basically the only resource I have while i'm trying to find uni lectures on natural philosophy (science as what it is called) which is the first module of this course.
Anyways, to those starting Year 12 next term G'luck and especially those who are going to be doing Ext. Science.

science2002

HSC
N/A
How has everyone found extension science? I'm in yr11 this year and considering taking it for yr12? Any advice?

akaalfauj

HSC
How has everyone found extension science? I'm in yr11 this year and considering taking it for yr12? Any advice?
To be honest, its a complete bludge. It is not difficult and all the content could probably be revised within a few days. It also depends on what topics you are interested in (what you're going to research) and this course also entails having to find data and appropriate literature in your report. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like an actual subject and doesn't involve a lot of work (unless you the report the night before its due).

HSC
Yeah I'll be doing it, that's if I get accepted. Unlike other ext subjects, this will be based on aptitude rather than grades throughout your chosen science subject/s. Then again academic profile still counts. It's just that are you really willing to take the effort into fulfilling a major that such scientists today would similarly also be doing? From my perspective, taking Science Extension is really risky as resources are very limited like past papers (from what I've heard it's a major and also an end of year exam), actual resources similar to this course; like using GSCE, IB, SAT or AICE, etc (Bitsize and Youtube channels that don't cover HSC purely but at least cover some syllabus points like Crash Course, Khan Academy etc). And also teachers are doing this course too for the first time which is another thing to consider. Also here's the syllabus from NESA to read before Year 12 2019 begins and to familiarise yourself with the content.

That's basically the only resource I have while i'm trying to find uni lectures on natural philosophy (science as what it is called) which is the first module of this course.
Anyways, to those starting Year 12 next term G'luck and especially those who are going to be doing Ext. Science.
Hi, we have been putting stakes of resources up onto bored of studies. We also put links into the resources for video's - we are hoping to cover every syllabus dot point. Good luck!

Regards
Edzion Education

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)