Extension 1 maths (1 Viewer)

rahila9261

HSC
Im doing 2 unit and extension 1 maths and i got my tests for both of them back today and i got 70% in 2 unit and 72% in extension 1 and my half yearlies are in 3-4 weeks.

How can i improve on this? and should i be worried that im doing better in extension 1 than 2 unit? 2 unit exam was equally as hard as extension 1 :S

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I made this post a while back to another student and think it's equally relevant here:

Well, don't worry about your assessment too much. I'll be honest and say I completely bombed out in my first 3 unit assessment as well. Such marks can be attributable to a lack of sufficient study. As long as you study effectively it should be fine. Take it from me, I failed when I didn't study and got 100% in my first three unit assesment in Year 12 after studying It makes that much difference.

There are two aspects to effective study

1. Make sure you understand concepts fully. As in udnertsnad why you take certain steps and where to implement mathematical procedures appropriately.

2. It's somewhat cliched but practice DOES make perfect. Do as many questions as possible. Don't be embarassed to ask your teacher for past papers as these are most helpful in this regard.

Your marks may be disappointing for you, but bear in mind these are your first assessment tasks. IT's a great opportunity to learn from your msitkaes and rectify them for future.

Also, don't get discouraged. The fact that you made silly mistakes, implies that you knew the content, but just couldn't execute during the exam, perhaps due to nervousness or stress. Learn to relax, I know it's hard, but you have to take it easy. Again practice papers will help you get used to practicing within time restrictions and exam conditions. Think of them as exam test drives.

There is no reason why you are not capable of success. As I stated, I don't mean to brag but I do really well because I study, the proof is that I've dismally bombed out in every exam I haven't studied for since Year 11.

Last year our school had someone who got 43% in their 4 unit half yearly (ntoe this is in Year 12, and counts to your assessment mark!) and ranked terribly. Yet due to astounding efforts later in the Year, particularly in the actual HSC exam he came away with a final HSC mark of 97 in 4 unit. Keep this in mind.

mioumiou

HSC
Im doing 2 unit and extension 1 maths and i got my tests for both of them back today and i got 70% in 2 unit and 72% in extension 1 and my half yearlies are in 3-4 weeks.

How can i improve on this? and should i be worried that im doing better in extension 1 than 2 unit? 2 unit exam was equally as hard as extension 1 :S

Any suggestions would be great thanks.
Hey there,

If I were you, I would do the following:

1. Find out all of your mistakes. Where did you went wrong (which topics)? Did you understand the concepts?

2. If you do know all of the above, then try doing more questions, different typrs, different styles or even some examination type questions would help A LOT! But If you don't know the concepts or where you went wrong, try to ask your teacher in your spare time (lunh time wtc)/ in class which ever you prefer. Just go through the concepts and knowing where you went wrong. After tou understand them, do as much questions as you can from different textbooks (eg. Cambridge, Fitzpatrick and more)

3. Do lots and lots of past papers. I know there not much preliminary papers however, you can also get some from your teacher, like those assessments from 2008etc. But make sure you have the correct answers/ worked solutions so you can mark them or even get someone else to mark it for you! :)

It's only the first assessment, it worth about 10% in our Yearly report (I'm not sure about your school but.....). If you get a bad mark, don't be unset, find out where you got wrong and make sure that you will NEVER make those silly mistakes again. You can to do more extra work than other people (not in cluding your hw). do 30 mins of extra work is fine!!

Remember, maths is all about practice, practice and practice. If one method does not work, try the other one. One single method does not suits everyone of us. So that's see how you go! And you cn always post something up on the maths forum if you have any questions.

Good luck with your studies!! :)

mioumiou

HSC
i made this post a while back to another student and think it's equally relevant here:

well, don't worry about your assessment too much. I'll be honest and say i completely bombed out in my first 3 unit assessment as well. Such marks can be attributable to a lack of sufficient study. As long as you study effectively it should be fine. Take it from me, i failed when i didn't study and got 100% in my first three unit assesment in year 12 after studying it makes that much difference.

there are two aspects to effective study

1. Make sure you understand concepts fully. As in udnertsnad why you take certain steps and where to implement mathematical procedures appropriately.

2. It's somewhat cliched but practice does make perfect. Do as many questions as possible. Don't be embarassed to ask your teacher for past papers as these are most helpful in this regard.

your marks may be disappointing for you, but bear in mind these are your first assessment tasks. It's a great opportunity to learn from your msitkaes and rectify them for future.

also, don't get discouraged. The fact that you made silly mistakes, implies that you knew the content, but just couldn't execute during the exam, perhaps due to nervousness or stress. Learn to relax, i know it's hard, but you have to take it easy. Again practice papers will help you get used to practicing within time restrictions and exam conditions. Think of them as exam test drives.

there is no reason why you are not capable of success. As i stated, i don't mean to brag but i do really well because i study, the proof is that i've dismally bombed out in every exam i haven't studied for since year 11.

last year our school had someone who got 43% in their 4 unit half yearly (ntoe this is in year 12, and counts to your assessment mark!) and ranked terribly. Yet due to astounding efforts later in the year, particularly in the actual hsc exam he came away with a final hsc mark of 97 in 4 unit. Keep this in mind.
+1

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
i made this post a while back to another student and think it's equally relevant here:

well, don't worry about your assessment too much. I'll be honest and say i completely bombed out in my first 3 unit assessment as well. Such marks can be attributable to a lack of sufficient study. As long as you study effectively it should be fine. Take it from me, i failed when i didn't study and got 100% in my first three unit assesment in year 12 after studying it makes that much difference.

there are two aspects to effective study

2. It's somewhat cliched but practice does make perfect. Do as many questions as possible. Don't be embarassed to ask your teacher for past papers as these are most helpful in this regard.

your marks may be disappointing for you, but bear in mind these are your first assessment tasks. It's a great opportunity to learn from your msitkaes and rectify them for future.

also, don't get discouraged. The fact that you made silly mistakes, implies that you knew the content, but just couldn't execute during the exam, perhaps due to nervousness or stress. Learn to relax, i know it's hard, but you have to take it easy. Again practice papers will help you get used to practicing within time restrictions and exam conditions. Think of them as exam test drives.

there is no reason why you are not capable of success. As i stated, i don't mean to brag but i do really well because i study, the proof is that i've dismally bombed out in every exam i haven't studied for since year 11.

last year our school had someone who got 43% in their 4 unit half yearly (ntoe this is in year 12, and counts to your assessment mark!) and ranked terribly. Yet due to astounding efforts later in the year, particularly in the actual hsc exam he came away with a final hsc mark of 97 in 4 unit. Keep this in mind.
+2

XTsquared

HSC
Yet due to astounding efforts later in the Year, particularly in the actual HSC exam he came away with a final HSC mark of 97 in 4 unit. Keep this in mind.
James Wu? Cause second was lewis with 96. :O

mirakon

nigga
HSC
James Wu? Cause second was lewis with 96. :O
I'm not sure m8 tbqh, the marks were shown to us under the condition that the students remained anonymous. However, I'm quite sure Wu got 99 in his HSC mark according to Mrs Singh. Perhaps, this was Lewis then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)