• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

extended response (1 Viewer)

jimmik

HSC
hi all, need a lil help here if u please. im fine at chem but wen it comes to extended responses, i feel like its jus a shortened version of english essays n i detest them >< so wonderin if i can get any assistance to answer this ques:

<I>identify and describe some possible future areas of research in the identification and production of materials</I>

its worth 10 marks. any ideas/info? greatly appreciated

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Look at the verbs, identify and describe then follow them describe breaks down further so extended responses are more like multiple small mark questions dealing with the same topic.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
markers hate lengthy rambly responses, try to make it concise. I use dot points even for 10 mark questions. Its good because i say everythign i need to say with no hassle about making it all essay like

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
dot pts are quite good but i reckon u still should try 2 write as much info as u can related 2 the question, who knows what sort of bitchy marking scheme they have...

jimmik

HSC
so its ok to write dot points? kewl! wat abt examples? say ur asked to write abt acids and the historical developments of them, do u hav to giv an example for like the arrhenius definition of an acid as well as jus stating the theory and how he came to propose that theory? or is it ok jus to say an acid is proton donator blah blah, deduce by obesrvng blah blah wifout particular example of arrhenius acid?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
u can go beyond that, 2 lavoisierkfdhgdfghh(4got name) (oxygen) and davy (hydrogen) and some german dude who expanded davy's def to a fydrogen being displaced

writing a few extra words for definitions wont hurt

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
depends on the marks of the q if 7 marker then id put some in just 2 b sure,

also note the verb used. ie. if its outine.... then dun bother

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Also, on questions like this, remember the comments made in the introduction to the examiners report. Students should be able to use the "language of chemistry" - this means appropriate equations (even if the question doesn't say to use examples) and also approriate examples.

jimmik

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Also, on questions like this, remember the comments made in the introduction to the examiners report.
where do u get the examiner's report from? is it the small summary thingo at the start of each new topic on the syllabus. or is that jus the context of the topic?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
There is an examiner's report written for each HSC exam each year. They are all posted on the Board of Studies website, as "notes from the marking centre". They are well worth reading, as they give some insight into what the markers noted as they marked the papers. They give introductory (general) comments, as well as specific comments on each question, plus an examination mapping grid and marking guideline.

Note that the comments must be interpreted, and not just read - for example, a comment like "The existence of dotted lines in the answer booklet does not preclude drawing a diagram to describe a procedural step. Candidates who drew a small, well-labelled diagram could describe the step more succinctly." from the 2001 report (Q 22) is not only commenting on what students did, but also saying what students should do in the future.

Consider the following comment from the 2003 report: "Teachers and candidates should be made aware that examiners may write questions that address the syllabus outcomes in a manner that requires candidates to respond by integrating their knowledge, understanding and skills developed through studying the course. This refletcs the fact that the knowledge, understanding and skills developed through the study of discrete sections should accumulate to a more comprehensive understanding than may be described in each section separately. This aspect needs to be more fully appreciated by all systems and candidates."

This is saying (at least) three important things:

1. Just because you can make notes under each dot point does not necessarily mean you know everything in the course - You need to see the connections between different parts of the syllabus. Some questions will require you to integrate that information into a cohesive answer. A simple example - there are obvious connections between the information on atmospheric chemistry in the Chemical Monitoring and Management topic and the acid rain part of The Acidic Environment.

2. Note the language: integrating "knowledge, understanding and skills developed" - This refers not only to between different dot points, but also to illustrating you knowledge by demonstrating skills developed - like equation writing. It reminds me of the explicit comment about the "language of chemistry" made in the 2001 report.

3. The bit at the end is a straight forward instruction to teachers, telling them they haven't addressed this properly.

The statement I quoted appeared in the report in each of the years 2001 - 2003, although the bit about needing to be fully addressed is new for 2003. Clearly they think it's important.

If you look at the reports, you will also see that they refer to comments from previous years. ie:

2001: "Most candidates were successful in responding to questions that involved the provission of specific knowledge, rather than questions requiring evaluation, justification or explanation."

2002: "This year candidates seemed to have a greater awareness of the importance of key verbs in the examination. There was a slight improvement in the ability of candidates to successfully respond to the higher level verbs in extended response questions."

2003: "This year candidates seemed to have a greater awareness of the importance of the key words in the examination. Spelling, grammar and scientific expression were very poor from some candidates, with handwriting beinf more illegibile than in the past."

Clearly, this is saying that extended reponse answers are improving.

By contrast, the comment about integrating different parts of the course remains the final introductory comment, unchanged over this period, with a comment about it needing to be "more fully appreciated" having been added. I think that both the inclusion of the same comment, and the addition, are significant.

Last edited:

jimmik

HSC
wow. thanks. i always thought it was boring and useless introduction or sumfin. lolz. silly me. that realli cleared alot for me and i understand that i should read things more carefully. cheers! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)