• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ext Japanese (1 Viewer)

MangoAvocado

HSC
sweetsweetcandy said:
I'm just wandering, since you did both hist ext and ext jap, which did you like better? Is it true that hist ext is easy marks? I've heard that ext languages is a lot harder than hist ext.
Hmm...they were both kinda my favourite subjects towards the end so it's hard to say, maybe ext jp since I found it more relevant to what I'm studying right now..although, I did have heaps of fun in hist ext since I felt like such an intellectual writing vague essays about the nature of history instead of the more factual work you do in the 2u courses.

I wouldn't say that hist ext is easy marks since a lot of people freak out about the project and drop before they even get to the serious essay work for the exam. What I will say is that once the project is out of the way and you understand the theories and logic behind the course, the written exam for hist ext isn't really so daunting.

If you don't mind doing alot of reading and wading through research work, then hist ext is probably more for you. Everyone in my class who stayed on past the project managed to do really well in the end.

With ext jp, you'll really get to know your grammar structures (well, the relevant ones anyway) inside out. It'll push you to study the language....which is a good thing because I don't know about you, but if I had only taken 2u I'd probably never practice japanese....which is bad since you really need to keep using a language or else you forget things. :p

Time management is also important since alot of hist ext and ext jp is work that you take on yourself. Hist ext's project is also not really something you can leave until the last minute so you might want to keep that in mind when you make your decision.

snoopy05

HSC
when u enter japanese extention tho, u gotta be aware that you'll be competing with students that has lived and exchanged studies in japan, (spent 10months in japan) or so.
that dont really matter, u can still get high marks. and guess what!

JAPANESE EXT IS RELAXING!!! i did jackshit and im still upto date with their works.
if u do it through OHS,
after your trials, from then onwards till ur HSC, all u have is revision revision revision!

deathbyprinter

motherlover
HSC
i started jap ext because i LOVE japanese
but then when i started the course,
and read no-ones perfect i found the book
rather dull. it should have inspired me,
but unfortunately it didnt. i am kind of regretting
starting the subject because i dont wanna flunk
the course, but if i drop it then my parents wont
let me go to japan at the end of the year. and thats
all i want to do.
the course is basically just english. you have to analyse
the text in english and then four different sections
you have to analyse and learn in japanese.
its horrible. for me anyways. who would do anything
to drop english.:bomb:

totallybord

HSC
hi,
im in yr10 and i was wondering if ext jap in y11 (there is such a thing rite?) is all about writing essays on things like the japanese economy and like really commerce- related stuff or is it more about the culture and traditions?
thanx a lot

P

pLuvia

In year 11 there is no Japanese Extension course only for the HSC. Basically in Japanese Extension you study a book called gotaifumanzoku about this disabled guy, you study issues about group vs individual, impact of technology and overcoming personal difficulties, bullying etc. And there is a lot of essay, diary, interview writing

freddtan

HSC
its true its alot of work....u mite get sick of writing essays after essays (i am)
but guess it will be worth it in the end

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I think it depends on your passion for Japanese. And confidence. Also, how much effort you're prepared to put into it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)