Ext. History + Art? (1 Viewer)

Carmen909

HSC
I need some advice for subjects for next year.
I do Visual Arts, and Modern History. I'm interested in doing Extension History, but several teachers have expressed some concern in doing 2 'big project' subjects..

I also do Ext. English, Bio and Mathematics. I don't reeeally want to drop anything else..
Do you think that would be way too much to handle?
Obviously I'd have to be very disciplined... but some thoughts and advice would be appreciated.. Thanks.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Although you have two major projects, remember that if utilised in a wise manner, time really is on your side. You have a couple of months to complete the History Extension Major Work, and I assume also for the Visual Arts Project. So if you can get your time management right and chip off these projects bit by bit over a long stretch of time, you will find that handling two major projects will be quite manageable.

If you have the passion and interest for the above subjects, and believe that you can do them, go for it. Remember you still have the option of dropping a subject if it becomes too demanding in Year 12.

Carmen909

HSC
Thanks. So, with the dropping in yr12, if I wish, I can just do that whenever I feel I need to?

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
time management is crucial.
go for it if you have strong interests in doing them

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Carmen909 said:
Thanks. So, with the dropping in yr12, if I wish, I can just do that whenever I feel I need to?
As long as your overall unit count doesn't fall under 10 units. I think if you were to take up History Extension, you'd have 12 units. So in a way, if you do decide to drop either Visual Arts or History Extension (or any other subject), you'd still be able to complete your HSC as you would have 10/11 units.

It is also dependent on your school policy, as some schools I know will not let their students have less than 12 units. So ask a teacher or the head of Year 12 for guidance on that issue.

If you are allowed to do so, however, whether or not you think having only 10 units during your HSC year is risky is another matter altogether.

Carmen909

HSC
however, whether or not you think having only 10 units during your HSC year is risky is another matter altogether.
Yeah, I do think it's a bit risky actually.. hmm..
For your UAI, (oh it's ATAR now, huh..) they only take the best 10 don't they?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I do think it's a bit risky actually.. hmm..
For your UAI, (oh it's ATAR now, huh..) they only take the best 10 don't they?
Yes, your best 10 units only. So if you are doing 12 units, they'll take your 10 best units and use that to calculate your ATAR (unless something has changed dramatically in their calculating methodology).

There are pros and cons to both scenarios, and you can use the search function to discover threads that are based on this topic. To cut a long story short, with 10 units, there is a decreased workload but there is also a chance that you may underperform in a subject, which can then affect your ATAR. With 12 units, there is an increased workload (depending on your subject selection choice) but you do have some sort of safety net.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)