Ext 2 Study Day - Carlingford... (1 Viewer)

Euphemist

HSC
Hey all.

Is anyone else going to the Extension 2 study day in Carlingford on Sunday March 19th?

I am. Sounds like it should be good.

I hope to see some of you there. I'm just really keen to get in contact with some other people doing Video for their Major Work.

Peace and Dice all!

pungemo

HSC
Sure Thing

I have just returned home from that event. The speakers were very helpful on the topic of the Reflection Statement. The speaker on film was also informative, if somewhat oblivious to the time. What was your experience? Did you gain any further insight into what you will be doing for a disproportionately large amount of your time over the next few months?

starlitwonder

HSC
Yeah, I just got back too. The reflections speaker was quite funny although a bit lame at times. He worried me with the time factor - there's not enough of it!!!!
i went to the short stories lecture which was pretty good, except it took a bloody half hour to get the projector working. Wasn't too bad though. She wasn't inspiring or despiring (word?)

pungemo

HSC
Yes, the reflection statement speaker was quite insistent. I don't think despiring is a word, maybe depressing or despoiling? I think there should be some sought of organisation for Extension 2 students. Some events maybe? At least a separate site. There's just so much to talk about and it's always beneficial, or at least reassuring, to meet people in the same situation as you.

Euphemist

HSC
pungemo said:
I think there should be some sought of organisation for Extension 2 students. Some events maybe? At least a separate site. There's just so much to talk about and it's always beneficial, or at least reassuring, to meet people in the same situation as you.
I completely agree with that!

As for today. The guy who spoke about reflection statements was really good. What he had to say was very valuble and yeah he was quite funny.

And the video guy - Will was it... Although oblivious to the time, was a fantastic speaker i personally thought. He had alot of valuble information.

I'm the first person to ever do film at my school for ext 2 (this is only the 2nd yr it has been run though) and my teacher doesnt really know much about it at all, so he was an immense help.

Where abouts in the room were u sitting? I remember you?

pungemo

HSC
During the first session I was sitting in the middle at the back, next to the man who assisted the speaker with the slideshow at first. During the second session I came in late and was sitting in the back right corner (bit of a challenge to get there). Remember me?

Last edited:

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
The speaker for reflection statement was soo funny and the areas he covered made me realise how lazy my teacher was.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Hey I was there yesterday, for short story. I thought it was great, it really helped me. Plus I made a couple of fwendz :)
Was anyone in the short story lecture in the main building that we were in at the beginning? That's the one I was in. I was wearing a Paul Frank top. Anyone remember me?

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Is that the one where the short story lecturer was a teacher from James Ruse and she made us read crappy stories and have group discussions about it?? I was in one of the groups at the back. Those group discussions were such a waste of time since nobody in my group actually wanted to talk. :p

feefa

HSC
hey! i'm doing ext 2 also and i couldn't go to the study day (my parents thought it was a waste of time etc - bleh!)

i was wondering if anyone went to the poetry speaker thingy and can tell me whether it was any good? i am so lost with it that i need help!!! so if anyone took any notes from that could you send them on over?

please please please!!! :)

pungemo

HSC
No problem. If it was you that emailed me on this subject it shouldn't be a problem. I just want to check with my friend to make sure that they don't mind me giving you their email address.

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
wellity wellity wellity. I went to the Study Day, and I have to say, I'm pretty anooyed with the whole thing. Firstly, they didn't give us anywhere to go and eat - I ended up at a seven eleven just drinking Red Bull for lunch. Secondly, the lady I had, the short story speaker in the main hall...she actually set me back in my work. Probably not her fault, but it was jsut something careless she said.

"If you can, don't write about suicide or teen angst. They are usually cliche`, and are not written well."

...Well, after six moneths of planning three stories, which include the concept of suicide, I was naturally pretty bloody enraged. I'm completely insecure about my major work now, because I'm scared that the HSC markers will have a bias against my topic. It ISN'T teen angst, but I'm thinking to myself, "Well, shit, I'm going to get marked down because of the concept." My teacher is absolutely furious. He's calling up the Board of Studies on it. I dont think it was fair for her to say it, and I'm completely rethinking my entire idea now, I have NO IDEA what to do. Bah. Three hours drive for THAT. Bleh!!

But the first guy was funny. I liked him. He looked like a hippy...hehe...

(if anyone wants to give me some advice on my MW *hint hint* email me - I'm pretty sure it's find-able)

pungemo

HSC
The day was poorly organised but I did find it quite helpful. As you said the first speaker was quite funny and gave some great advice about the reflection statement among other things.

In regards to that statement made about suicide and teen angst it probably is true. Suicide and teen angst are one of the most commonly used subjects. This is because suicide is such a powerful emotive tool and teen angst is a subject close to the heart of most Extension 2 students. This does not mean you will be marked badly for your major work, you just need to make yours stand out. Put an original twist on the idea or at the very least put every effort into making it stand out as an example of great implementation of the idea.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
lilkiwifruit said:
Is that the one where the short story lecturer was a teacher from James Ruse and she made us read crappy stories and have group discussions about it?? I was in one of the groups at the back. Those group discussions were such a waste of time since nobody in my group actually wanted to talk. :p
:uhhuh:

That's what it was. Which story did your group read out? Mine read the one about hands :rofl:

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
:uhhuh:

That's what it was. Which story did your group read out? Mine read the one about hands :rofl:
About hands?? I can't remember that one.. Our story was about a guy who killed a little girl. The group next to us had a story where a foetus was speaking to her mother before she got an abortion,.. I thought that was quite an interesting concept.

The day was really disorganised, we were told to leave the hall coz the teachers thought that their lecture was held there and then after wandering around the school for a long time, one of the organisers told us that short stories were at the hall :mad1:

Ellie_Belly

HSC
lilkiwifruit said:
About hands?? I can't remember that one.. Our story was about a guy who killed a little girl. The group next to us had a story where a foetus was speaking to her mother before she got an abortion,.. I thought that was quite an interesting concept.

The day was really disorganised, we were told to leave the hall coz the teachers thought that their lecture was held there and then after wandering around the school for a long time, one of the organisers told us that short stories were at the hall :mad1:
'Twas disorganised, I agree. But it's characteristic of EE2 to be disorganised :)

I can't remember your stories. Maybe I wasn't in the same place as you? Was the lecturer an old woman who kept bumping the microphone?

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
'Twas disorganised, I agree. But it's characteristic of EE2 to be disorganised :)

I can't remember your stories. Maybe I wasn't in the same place as you? Was the lecturer an old woman who kept bumping the microphone?
:uhhuh: and she kept reading off the screen coz she didn't have her own laptop in front of her..

Ellie_Belly

HSC
lilkiwifruit said:
:uhhuh: and she kept reading off the screen coz she didn't have her own laptop in front of her..
Lol sounds like that's the same woman then. She reminds me of one of my teacher's, so clumsy and cute.

Which group were you in? I was right at the back, on the right side. Remember that blonde girl who was reading from our group, and all of a sudden she stuffed something up when she was reading and got all embarrassed and said, "I don't want to read anymore!" and sat down, and that boy grabbed it off her and read it?

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
Lol sounds like that's the same woman then. She reminds me of one of my teacher's, so clumsy and cute.

Which group were you in? I was right at the back, on the right side. Remember that blonde girl who was reading from our group, and all of a sudden she stuffed something up when she was reading and got all embarrassed and said, "I don't want to read anymore!" and sat down, and that boy grabbed it off her and read it?
yea I was in one of the groups at the back, next to the group you mentioned. LOL Were you the blonde girl?! The overuse of adjectives in that story was soo funny when that chick with black hair read it out and said " she looked like a barbie..or a prostitute" ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)