Ext 2 English (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
TIB: Well I've had to re-think and change my preferences (but I haven't got around to actually changing them through UAC yet). I've just been visiting websites (universities) and reading through the lists of cut-offs and the UAC guide itself.

There isn't anything I'm interested in, because the descriptions aren't all that interesting. Everything they list is either too broad or not interesting (call me boring! "Hi boring!") - because I'm just looking at the Science degrees and Engineering ones.

I've had to completely rechange my list of preferences of course, but I'm at the point where "I just don't know" what to do (I have hobbies and interests, but I really don't know what exactly happens in each course and how I'll find it, it'll be a case of trial and error, LOL).

I'll re-think my options later, as I do each night. :)

Mr MU

there is one from my former high school Penrith high this yr got 1st place in English Ex2

Huy

HSC
N/A
Maybe it was equal first? :confused:

If you got 50/50, you wouldn't be able to say first place - but rather, equal first. :)

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
not true... you get get a true 50/50 by getting 50 for both exam and assessment, or get a 49.5/50 rounded yp to 50 by getting 49/50 for one and 50/50 for the other

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I came first in Modern History and first in EE2 and they both didn't count in my UAI. :( I'm also at the same point you guys are at, I really don't know what I want to do or where I want to go... ho hum... plus I'm working 40 hours a week terrible hours to save money to go to uni, and I kinda don't have the motivation for work because I don't know what I am doing and no longer have any definate goals... I don't see a cent of what I earn, it goes in to my bank account for uni, and at the moment I don't know where I am going or what I am doing so it seems like I am working for nothing... just like my HSC results made me feel like I had worked my ass off all year for nothing... merry xmas everyone.

sugared plum

HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
hmm how can he get 1st place when quite a few people got 50/50?
how they work at placings in a course is a bit weird. for example, in music, this girl in my class and i both got the same mark, but were ranked differently on that board of studies website which shows the rankings for each course.

it's like, some 50s are better than other 50s...

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Courtenay
not true... you get get a true 50/50 by getting 50 for both exam and assessment, or get a 49.5/50 rounded yp to 50 by getting 49/50 for one and 50/50 for the other
well i assumed that it was 50 for all three marks - i.e exam, assess and thus HSC - to be 1st. i got that, and yet ive seen three people claim to come first in english extension! you just cant say that! its equal first, with a big bunch of other people. its not really exclusive at all

~QuEEN V~

Well I guess I am a miracle story for english extn 2 because my school mark was in the late 30's (37 or 38) and I ended up getting 50 : ) For me it feels really good because I spent the whole year arguing with my English teacher about my work as she didn't like it very much (thought it wasn't English). She wanted me to change sooo many things, and I am soooo glad that I didn't take her "advise". I'm seriously going to go and rub my mark in her face!

And for those of you who feel ripped for getting in the 30's...be glad u didn't get in the 20's...I have heard some real horror stories from ppl I expected to do really well.

A friend of mine was told by his teacher, a senior marker, that the major prob this year with most works was originality...especially with critical responses. Lots of students were apparently just not original in their ideas and arguments, simply copying something out of someone's phd thesis. With film, originality was also the major problem. I'm not to sure abt poetry, but the ppl I know who did it, both got 49. With short story, the same originality thing, but there was also apparently many really BAD post-modern stories. I heard that there were a few ppl who prettied much copied the concepts of the short stories in the showcase thing.

I've blabbed on for toooo long!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by ~QuEEN V~
Well I guess I am a miracle story for english extn 2 because my school mark was in the late 30's (37 or 38) and I ended up getting 50 : ) For me it feels really good because I spent the whole year arguing with my English teacher about my work as she didn't like it very much (thought it wasn't English). She wanted me to change sooo many things, and I am soooo glad that I didn't take her "advise". I'm seriously going to go and rub my mark in her face!

And for those of you who feel ripped for getting in the 30's...be glad u didn't get in the 20's...I have heard some real horror stories from ppl I expected to do really well.

A friend of mine was told by his teacher, a senior marker, that the major prob this year with most works was originality...especially with critical responses. Lots of students were apparently just not original in their ideas and arguments, simply copying something out of someone's phd thesis. With film, originality was also the major problem. I'm not to sure abt poetry, but the ppl I know who did it, both got 49. With short story, the same originality thing, but there was also apparently many really BAD post-modern stories. I heard that there were a few ppl who prettied much copied the concepts of the short stories in the showcase thing.

I've blabbed on for toooo long!
You go girl! (I assumed that you are a girl because of your nname)

I like people like you. Congratulations.
You see, before I picked up ext 2 english, I told my ex-english tutor about it. She said that with my 'english standard.' I am going 'to fail ext 2 english hopelessly'

I didn't listen to her. I fired her. and I did even better in all of my english units!! and I wish that I can rub my 49/50 in her face! but I am too nice to do that ;)

Now I just wish that I didn't waste my time and money on her useless lessons!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
i was wondering.. how is it possible that ur mid 40 assessment mark get scaled down to lyk 30? wot are the factors invovled...

and i know wot u mean by not focusing on the right subjects.... i thought my biz stud wont be counted ..but it ended up being my best 2 units... and ext 1 maths (which i thought would be counted) didnt end up been counted....
your internal assessment mark only provides a rank within the school. the assessment mark will then be based on your school's external assessment in that subject

for example, if the top mark of your external assessment is 30 in ext 2 eng, it will become the top mark for whoever ranked 1st internally even though that person might have scored a 50 in the internal mark.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
your internal assessment mark only provides a rank within the school. the assessment mark will then be based on your school's external assessment in that subject

for example, if the top mark of your external assessment is 30 in ext 2 eng, it will become the top mark for whoever ranked 1st internally even though that person might have scored a 50 in the internal mark.
so as long as someone scores 50 externalli then the rest of the class wotn be capped in their external marks?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
so as long as someone scores 50 externalli then the rest of the class wotn be capped in their external marks?
I think that's the way it goes. what i believe is that the rest of the class then got 'scaled' accordingly to the performance of the entire group.

does that make any sense?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
umm.. i got 50 for my internal and soemting lower for external.. :p
u? :p
wow that's cool :) congratz

I got 49 both ways. better than I anticipated so I am a happy camper :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)