• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Explain the multiplier effect (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I understand the mulitplier, but I don't know how to phrase an answer to explain the multplier effect. The answer suggested by Leading Edge in our workbook seems to run around in circles a bit, and goes way overboard for a 2 mark question.

Anyone have a concise answer?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
lol, I spelt multiplier* wrong twice in my post, top work there.

I can use part of the fourth answer glitterfairy I think:

"The multiplier effect occurs when a change in spending causes a disproportionate change in aggregate demand. This is because spending that is injected into the economy will stimulate a reaction of further spending, resulting in a rise in income greater than the initial injection.

Doesn't sound particularly flash, but it gets the point across. Cheers glitterfairy

HSC
N/A
ScottyG said:
lol, I spelt multiplier* wrong twice in my post, top work there.

I can use part of the fourth answer glitterfairy I think:

"The multiplier effect occurs when a change in spending causes a disproportionate change in aggregate demand. This is because spending that is injected into the economy will stimulate a reaction of further spending, resulting in a rise in income greater than the initial injection.

Doesn't sound particularly flash, but it gets the point across. Cheers glitterfairy
I'm sorry but I'm a little confused... I don't know a thing about economics? lol. Either you just came from the EE2 forums or you meant to thank Without Wings ;)

Last edited:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Sorry withoutwings, don't know what I was thinking there.

I blame today's viva voce glitterfairy, I havn't been thinking straight all day since that lol.

HSC
N/A
ScottyG said:
Sorry withoutwings, don't know what I was thinking there.

I blame today's viva voce glitterfairy, I havn't been thinking straight all day since that lol.
It's good to know I still have the power to unintentionally mess with people's heads ;)

Rest now. Have a nap, have some food, watch some TV. Then come back to real life :) (I'd ask you how your Viva went, but I'd be spamming on someone else's turf ;))

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I can't rest though, bummer. Economics and Mathematics exams tomorrow, I'm coming 1st and 2nd in them respectively so I need to pull some good marks to keep me there

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
What is the equilibrium level of income if C = 100 + 0.8Y and I = 40

The other question I was meaning to ask but forgot; our economics teacher has been on holidays so I need to pester you guys.

Anyone who can explain the above question?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Which formula are you deriving that from however, and what logic is behind it?

You are saying that national income = consumption + investment, yes?

Are you using the formula Y = C + I + G + (X-M) for aggregate demand, and because in equilibrium aggregate demand = aggregate supply (national income), then for the two sectors we have been given, AD = Y = C + I?

Hence: Y = C + I

Is that the logic behind it?

The only other forumla I have is Y = C + S + T, and Y-equilibrium occuring at S=I.

gnrlies

HSC
Without Wings said:
* The expansion of a country's money supply that results from banks being able to lend. The size of the multiplier effect depends on the percentage of deposits that banks are required to hold on reserves. In other words, it is money used to create more money and calculated by dividing total bank deposits by the reserve requirement.

* The expansion of a country's money supply that results from banks being able to lend. The size of the multiplier effect depends on the percentage of deposits that banks are required to hold on reserves. In other words, it is money used to create more money and calculated by dividing total bank deposits by the reserve requirement.

* The expansion of the money supply that results from a Federal Reserve System member bank's ability to lend significantly in excess of its reserves.

* In economics, a multiplier effect – or, more completely, the spending/income multiplier effect – occurs when a change in spending causes a disproportionate change in aggregate demand. It is particularly associated with Keynesian economics; some other schools of economic thought reject or downplay the importance of multiplier effects, particularly in the long run.
Those first three defn's refer to the money multiplier process which is totally different to the keynesian multiplier in the HSC economics course. The fourth one is the only one that any HSC student need look at.

Essentially the keynesian multiplier is a mathematical model to demonstrate that when income (any factor in Y=C+I+G+(X-M) ) rises by some exogenous amount, this extra income will result in an even greater rise as this income stimulates demand as it gets spent, and respent.

To consider this in a practical sense, say you are paid $100 to paint a fence. Say you then keep $50, and then pay someone to mow your lawn for $50. Then the person who mowed your lawn receives an extra $50 in income. The person who mowed the lawn might then spend $25 on a haircut and save $25. The hairdresser has an extra $25 in income and the process continues......

So even though there was only $100 extra income, this amount generated more economic activity as people passed it on through extra consumption.

Without going into the geometric progression which makes the formula true, the multiplier is essentially just 1/MPS. The MPS determines a "leakage" factor which as it increases the multiplier reduces, and if it reduces the multiplier gets larger (as if people save more less consumption is caused as a result of the extra income).

In a practical sense the keynesian multiplier holds no relevance. It works in a theoretical sense, but the problem with the multiplier is that it is impossible to measure an average MPS within an economy. Whilst we can work out an average propensity to consume (across an economy), we can't work out the marginal rate for each individual (i.e. marginal is for every extra dollar spent). So we cant just simply say that because our national savings ratio is such a figure that our MPS is equivalent. It wont be, because the savings ratio is an average, not marginal figure.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)