Experiments? (1 Viewer)

Jackie90

HSC
GRRRRR my teacher is a meanie!!! i need to know what type of experiments i could do to put in my portfolio? (in year 11 btw). and also how to do these experiments

thanks a bunch

~kiki

HSC
not sure if this is still relevant-- however, I assume she is trying to emulate the kind of thing you will need to do for your Yr 12 textiles major project. In this case you will need experiments that cover equipment, manufacturing processes and materials. For my Yr 12 MTP I did 4 experiments from each of these areas. This was advice given to me by one of the senior markers. As this is for Yr11 you can probably do fewer experiments, say, 2 or 3 from each area. You write them up as you would a scientific experiement with an Aim, method, results and conclusion/justification. Conclusion would be which technique/ material/ equipment item you prefered out of the ones tested and why you intend to use it/ what makes it suitable. Goodluck!!

an example of a type of experiment from each area is as follows:

* Equipment: To determine which type of machine needle would be best to sew through fine fabrics using metallic thread

* Manufacturing processes: Best method to attach the backing to the wall hanging, by hand or machine

*Materials: Most suitable fabric for an evening gown.

kirstytoast

HSC
I'm not sure if this is still useful, but I'm doing my experiments for my portfolio at the moment (I'm a Textiles year 12 student)

But my teacher told me that I need to set it up exactly like you would a science experiment. so literally set out as

Aim:

Method:
(with a list of steps)

Results:

Conclusion:

kirstytoast

HSC
it really depends on what sort of textile item your making.

so, if your making apparell, you will need to test for function and aesthetics

***such as, if you were making a long formal dress, you would need to test for aesthetics -> Drape
function -> comfort, sweat absorbency

if its a formal dress, you wouldn't necessarily need to test things like, stretch, colour fastness or easy care?

Compared to costume, where as it would need to be easy care, sweat resistant, colouful, eyecatching and colourfast

textile art (which is what i'm making) is purely aesthetics, so there is no need to test for anything that has to do with function, it doesn't need to be comfortable.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I know i am doing textile art to, so my experiments are mostly sample type things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)