experience at a selective school (1 Viewer)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
hahah year 7 = 4 hours of tv per day at least

more on weekends

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It's really interesting reading about the differences people have found in moving between selective and comprehensive. I've noticed the culture difference between the two school types but I've never had the first hand experience of going to any highschool other than a selective one. It's reasonably true what people have said about the competitive aspect of selective schools. The perception of whether a mark is good or bad is certainly very different. Still, the people are normal but as a collective they are slightly left of centre.

timmay05

HSC
We had a guy who looked like he was about to kill someone when he came 3rd in the year in Ext English.

It is funny at selective schools, but I really don't like it (probably more to do with the fact that I have "authority issues" than it being selective).

Plus, I think you get lots of the students of great natural ability, and the ones with good tutors. Then the top students are either prepared to put in the effort, or cheat.

timmay05

HSC
We had a theory a while back that:

If you were talented overall you could end up in selective.
If you had one amazing skill but couldn't do maths or speak english then you end up in comprhensive.

I think the main difference is that like 1/6 people do 4 unit maths
and 1/7 do 4 unit english.

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
I go to a selective school. Everyone seems to have a life and the nerds don't all band together: I'd classify myself with a nerd and yet nearly all the guys I sit with get less than 50% in all subjects except english. I guess its a bit different at the top of the year, but I'm pretty sure people get the same sorts of marks down in the bottom half of the year the marks are similar to those in normal schools. The only main difference is that everyone tolerates the astronomy and maths clubs who are constantly making announcements in the roll and stuff like that.

ishq

brown?
HSC
thunderdax said:
The only main difference is that everyone tolerates the astronomy and maths clubs who are constantly making announcements in the roll and stuff like that.

HAHAHAHAHA!
You have an astronomy club?

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
thunderdax said:
I go to a selective school. Everyone seems to have a life and the nerds don't all band together: I'd classify myself with a nerd and yet nearly all the guys I sit with get less than 50% in all subjects except english. I guess its a bit different at the top of the year, but I'm pretty sure people get the same sorts of marks down in the bottom half of the year the marks are similar to those in normal schools. The only main difference is that everyone tolerates the astronomy and maths clubs who are constantly making announcements in the roll and stuff like that.

Lol, you've gotta love people that have a life.
Maybe some people from my school should take a walk over to yours....Then they could see that people outside our school DO actually have lives during the HSC.
Can I send them?
Please?

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
ishq said:
HAHAHAHAHA!
You have an astronomy club?
YES! No joking about it.

Emma-Jayde said:
Lol, you've gotta love people that have a life.
Maybe some people from my school should take a walk over to yours....Then they could see that people outside our school DO actually have lives during the HSC.
Can I send them?
Please?
I'm sure they meet people from our school often enough at Broadmeadow Maccas if they ever go there. But if you want, it could be a school excursion. Wildlife inside MHS!

But seriously, is that what you all think of us? :(

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
thunderdax said:
I'm sure they meet people from our school often enough at Broadmeadow Maccas if they ever go there. But if you want, it could be a school excursion. Wildlife inside MHS!

But seriously, is that what you all think of us? :(
Lol, I had a bad experience with a selective high, but you guys all seem quite normal :p

Ahaha, we should do a swap. Wildlife inside MHS and Insanity inside HSPA!

And Maccas? I'm sure some people LIVE over there. Either there or Clarries. Sad, really.

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
i wouldnt think that everyone at a selective school would have no life. There are probably some people, in which i would think so, that actually have their own social life. But i think in general that there would be people generally in a selective school would have a life and are a bit weird in a way. but i dont know about other selective schools, just the one i go to and i would think it would be wise not to name what school it is, just in case someone finds out who i am.

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Dimsimmer said:
i wouldnt think that everyone at a selective school would have no life. There are probably some people, in which i would think so, that actually have their own social life. But i think in general that there would be people generally in a selective school would have a life and are a bit weird in a way. but i dont know about other selective schools, just the one i go to and i would think it would be wise not to name what school it is, just in case someone finds out who i am.
A long time ago, you started a thread because you were nervous of getting into a selective high school. It seems like you're ok there.

carpediem

HSC
selective schools ain't that bad i know some people that go there and they are really down to earth and i can relate to. then there are the complete opposite those kill die die competitive people they scare me alot

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Get over it. Once you get to univeristy, whether you do a law, arts, commerce or science degree there will be people who work, people who actually manage their time and people who put their working, sporting and musical interests ahead of partying. I went to Ruse and nearly every high achiever in my year, particularly those who got 100 had jobs and sporting and/or musical interests. It's the people who are focussed and can manage their time well who excel in both high school, university and outside of university.

Dimsimmer : It's fair enough that people are upset with marks of 80%. You don't know how much work that they may have put in to getting a higher mark in that particular test.

TBH during my time at Ruse I found that most people bonded rather well together and that the school as a whole was rather supportive (even though my grade was quite cliquey). Dimsimmer, my advice to you is that you make the best of what you have at your school. Sure, sometimes stupid shit will go down. Some moron will try and pinch the answers to maths problems from the library or a kid will flip out over getting 90% on a meaningless weekly test but all in all is stupid shit like that worth bitching about? What you should be doing instead (and if I learnt anything at Ruse it was this) is learning how to use stress/pressure to motivate yourself instead of letting it dominate you.

Even if you hate the damn school, milk being there for all it's worth, get a good UAI and move on.

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
neo_o said:
Get over it. Once you get to univeristy, whether you do a law, arts, commerce or science degree there will be people who work, people who actually manage their time and people who put their working, sporting and musical interests ahead of partying. I went to Ruse and nearly every high achiever in my year, particularly those who got 100 had jobs and sporting and/or musical interests. It's the people who are focussed and can manage their time well who excel in both high school, university and outside of university.

Dimsimmer : It's fair enough that people are upset with marks of 80%. You don't know how much work that they may have put in to getting a higher mark in that particular test.

TBH during my time at Ruse I found that most people bonded rather well together and that the school as a whole was rather supportive (even though my grade was quite cliquey). Dimsimmer, my advice to you is that you make the best of what you have at your school. Sure, sometimes stupid shit will go down. Some moron will try and pinch the answers to maths problems from the library or a kid will flip out over getting 90% on a meaningless weekly test but all in all is stupid shit like that worth bitching about? What you should be doing instead (and if I learnt anything at Ruse it was this) is learning how to use stress/pressure to motivate yourself instead of letting it dominate you.

Even if you hate the damn school, milk being there for all it's worth, get a good UAI and move on.
That was good advice. Well said.

HSC
I go to a semi-selective school (guess which one) and it isn't really that bad. Those in community are as equally intelligent and there is a lot of competition between students. I'm with the more laid back group in my year and we never let the stress get to us. To say that selective students have no life is a lie. Not everyone is the same and there are those who don't even give a shit about the HSC.

Tingaling

HSC
its the expectations of selective schools, they manage to keep you at the average level in school, however compared to others, the selective schools average is top somewhere in the state. =0="

my friends from selectives.. are either blugders .. which still do heaps good or nerds.. which stay home and read the encyclopidia all day..=_____=" yes she gives me a lot of info from there..*wondering how her brain manages to remember all those stuff*...hmmmm

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Yeah. I'm sitting in the library of a selective school right now. Look what I'm doing.

Tingaling

HSC
arh..i sooo agree

neo_o said:

i like what you've writen..^^ "milk being there for all it's worth, get a good UAI and move on"

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
24 said:
To say that selective students have no life is a lie. Not everyone is the same and there are those who don't even give a shit about the HSC.
HAY GUYS! WE HAVE A LIFE! WE ARE COOL! LOOK WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE HSC! :rolleyes:

Ashe

HSC
I attend a selective school and I have a very full life. I do a lot of fun stuff but I must admit I have a lot more of a life than my peers. I go to Baulkham Hills which is straight after James Ruse in terms of selectiveness (I know thats not a word). We do have a lot of nerds, but they do go a long way in life. Having said that they are only considered nerds because their interests differ to other people. They do not go out and use drugs and get drunk alot because it often just doesnt interest them. I have the same inclinations. For starters its a waste of money, and I prefer to remember when I'm spending time with my friends.

It is a very competitive environment, thats because these kids put heaps of work in to get the results, and the competition is kinda promoted because it makes everyone work harder, push themselves a little more to get better marks. I love the intellectual climate at the school. I'm reminded when I talk to non-selective kids of the environment I come from. Conversation is more likely to revolve around politics, current affairs, world issues and things like that than how smashed they were on the weekend. The only downside to selective schools, and I am guilty of this, is it breeds elitist attitudes towards other schools. Thats a shame really.

I highly enjoy attending a selective school. It stimulates your mind just being around these explosively intelligent teenagers. You are constantly challenged to achieve the best you can. It is a fantastic place for those who can handle it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)