Expected length of HSC english response (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
^^The title says it all. How many words/booklets do markers usually look for. I know it is about quality not quantity, but you can't have one with out the other. in the modules is 800 words the expected or what if you fall short. is this the same for belonging?

monsta4lyfe

HSC
Full marks, I'm pretty sure, can be accessed with 1000 words, but you would need to be pretty efficient with your expression of ideas.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I'd say 900-1000 - just depends on how much you can do and how concise you are. If you can say everything you need to say in 800 then that's fine, but I couldn't so I probably wrote 900-1000. But don't dwell on quantity. A convoluted, shitty 1000 word essay will score much less than a dense, concise 800 word essay. Honestly, I don't think markers care whether you write 800 or 1000 words; it depends on your ideas, evaluation of techniques, structure. Also legibility is really important.

Candidate

HSC
1200 is too many for paper 2 imo– your other essays may lack the amount of depth required.

I have the 2012 Exam Workbook, and some of the exemplars provided are ~780 words. Almost all the essays are below 1000 words, but are concise, have excellent grammar and use sophisticated language. I know the exemplar answer for Frankenstein/Blade Runner even argued against the question. So, ultimately word count doesn't matter.

Most students would get out around 800 words for 40 mins per question, in addition to planning, interpreting the question, making their writing legible, and of course,filling out student numbers and asking for more booklets. I know my responses are usually 850-900 words long, but my prepared essays are 1200 words.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say 900-1000 - just depends on how much you can do and how concise you are. If you can say everything you need to say in 800 then that's fine, but I couldn't so I probably wrote 900-1000. But don't dwell on quantity. A convoluted, shitty 1000 word essay will score much less than a dense, concise 800 word essay. Honestly, I don't think markers care whether you write 800 or 1000 words; it depends on your ideas, evaluation of techniques, structure. Also legibility is really important.
my prepared essays are 900 words long, provided that i adapt to the question and stuff, is there anything really stopping me from getting a good mark?

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
my prepared essays are 900 words long, provided that i adapt to the question and stuff, is there anything really stopping me from getting a good mark?
Absolutely not! 900 is great - I think people are kidding themselves if they think they can write a question focused response with 1000+ words. You could only write that much if it was a prepared response and they won't score that high. The number one thing examiners are looking at is if you answer the question - it's as simple and as difficult as that. If you answer the question, structure your essay well, evaluate techniques, have good ideas, in 900 words, there's nothing stopping you from getting a top band 6. Look at the marking criteria - it doesn't say anything about word length. It really comes down to quality. So don't worry about it, you'll be more than fine :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Absolutely not! 900 is great - I think people are kidding themselves if they think they can write a question focused response with 1000+ words. You could only write that much if it was a prepared response and they won't score that high. The number one thing examiners are looking at is if you answer the question - it's as simple and as difficult as that. If you answer the question, structure your essay well, evaluate techniques, have good ideas, in 900 words, there's nothing stopping you from getting a top band 6. Look at the marking criteria - it doesn't say anything about word length. It really comes down to quality. So don't worry about it, you'll be more than fine :)
thanks, thats a relief!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)