Exercise and sports science (1 Viewer)

vj88

HSC
i was just wondering what the exercise and sport science degree is like from students who are currently studying it..looking mainly at uws and acu but also like to know aboutusyd and unsw

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
I've been enrolled in the ACU one, so I can speak personally about that. It has work experience from the first semester which consists of you finding some gym and telling the uni. Not actual clinical placements which they should be doing. It is also more focused towards PDHPE, despite having an exercise science stream. The best example of this is that every semester you do two additional units (not HECS), which are sport units, e.g. swimming and weight training, cricket and soccer, etc. They also do not allow you to pick your classes (something which USyd also shares) so you'll probably end up with a timetable where you have an 8.00am lecture, and a tutorial. Then a four or more hour break then another set starting at around 4.00pm and not finishing till 6.00pm. This was my timetable three to four days a week, plus on the other day I'd have one and only class which went for 50min. This is because they allocate classes based on alphabetical order. Oh, and they also preach religion to you, believe it!
I've heard good things about UWS, and you can select all your own classes.
I'm in the UNSW one at the moment, and hands down it's the best, IMO. You have the same freedom to select your own classes, (well the straight science ones anyway). It has it's own rehab centre that you can do placements in, which is run by the president of the NSW chapter of the Australian Association of Exercise and Sports Science (AAESS), and it's in the medical faculty (not really important but it sounds good). It also gets you started on exercise physiology straight from day one (unlike the UWS and ACU, where you only pick your major from second year onwards from sports studies, exercise science, sports management or PDHPE), and it is a four year degree with imbedded honours, unlike UWS, USyd, and ACU.

Last edited:

vj88

HSC
hey thanks for the reply .........unsw was the one that i wanted at the beginning but i was worried about the pre requisites ......how have u found it in terms of maths and english .............what subjects did u do in the hsc?

HSC
Thanks for the info D., especially about UNSW as I had no idea about the course there. What are you hoping to do when you've graduated?
And what are your hours like now that you're at NSW? Does UNSW focus more on rehab/exercise physiology or does it give you the options to branch off and do PDHPE, sports management etc?

I've enrolled for this course next year. First preference being at Syd Uni, then UWS then UNSW. So we'll just wait and see which ones accept me.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Hey, no problem :)
vj88, the pre-requisites are bunk, i.e. they're irrelevent. When I did my HSC I picked what was then the second from the bottom maths, and I've been fine. The only maths I've encountered so far has been having to use a few formulas (body denisty formulas, etc), simple stuff. Likewise the writing is easy too. It's not HSC english, but a more scientific style, which is far more staright foward.
snobby airlines (Yeah Yoshi!), the hours are very reasonable. The HESC units (exercise science) are only two hours a week each. The science ones are more, but that's to be expected. UNSW is heavily into the exercise physiology/rehab side (since it's in the med faculty), but later on it also provides more things to do with health policy and development. I think it's easier for an exercise physiologist to move into sports management than vice versa. I'm honestly not sure about PDHPE. If you pick UWS over UNSW then you'll almost certainly get in. I was also told a few years ago that the two best uni's to do ex sci are UOW and UNSW. Hope that all helps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)