• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Exercise and Sports Science (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Hey guys,
im thinking of transferring into this course next year, and i'm just wondering what the course is like
thanks

Skeeta

HSC
this course is at cumberland campus, so you might get more information if this thread is moved there. From what i know, it is similar to physio (they have alot of joined subjects), but i dont know if you have a "title" at the end of it

dora_18

HSC
i don't know if you do either.....
lol..."exercise and sport scientist"?

Skeeta

HSC
i think its similar to my degree

there is B. Health Science (hearing and speech)

and

B. Applied Science (Speech Pathology)

the first is a three year degree, and you dont actually graduate as "anything". It is the same classes as the second for at least two years, but may have slightly different assignments/marking criteria for exams. You go on practicals anywhere you want (audilogists, preschools, speech pathologists etc). A lot of people go on to masters studies

the second is a four year degree, you graduate as a certified speech pathologist. Your practicals are set, ie) you have to work at adult placements, children placements etc

I *think* it is a similar situation for physiotherapy and exercise and sports science. There is a physio on here i'll find her and direct her here.. she might have more info about it.

mizosoup

HSC
I'm in 1st yr exercise sport science/nutrition; the combined course and so far its pretty good.

Plain exercise sport science is 3 years and you do fun things like sports first aid, fundamentals of exercise science (which is basically exercise testing stuff), anatomy and psychology.

If you do the combined degree you also go to main campus so i guess you get the best of both worlds in terms of uni life (Cumbo is a lot more laid back and doesn't really feel like a uni but there's almost no fun things to do unless you're a necrophiliac, in which case you can pop nextdoor into Rookwood during common lunch). First year, you only do chem and molecular bio at main so most of your time is spent at Cumbo. Travelling between campuses 3 days a week sucks though.

You can also do ESS with Masters of Nursing.

Check out the
handbook - it's got a lot more info

lovesthebeer

HSC
G'Day mate..I do just straight Exercise and Sport Science and I'm a first year student.

The course is pretty good but it requires you to draw on a fair bit of maths and science, no real surprise as it is a Bach. of Applied Science. Pretty much what you study is biomechanics of movement, biochemistry of the body related to exercise, anatomy and neural function.

At the end of the degree your official title will be an Exercise Physiologist (EP), which opens the door to a few career paths. You can choose to work with elite athletes at like the AIS or you can go into clinical practice and work in injury rehab. It is a growing field and EP's are also now recognised by medicare and private health funds.

Hope that helps ya mate

HSC
lovesthebeer said:
G'Day mate..I do just straight Exercise and Sport Science and I'm a first year student.

The course is pretty good but it requires you to draw on a fair bit of maths and science, no real surprise as it is a Bach. of Applied Science.
How much emphasis is placed on the Maths? I'm hoping to apply for this course but i haven't done maths in 2 years. Is it pretty complex?

Also, what's the ratio of practical to theory work? is there a lot of prac involved ie fitness testing or is it pretty balanced?

lovesthebeer

HSC
snobby airlines said:
How much emphasis is placed on the Maths? I'm hoping to apply for this course but i haven't done maths in 2 years. Is it pretty complex?

Also, what's the ratio of practical to theory work? is there a lot of prac involved ie fitness testing or is it pretty balanced?
Hey snobby airlines.

Don't worry buddy i last did maths in year 10 so don't feel so bad. Actually i did no maths or science in yr 11 or 12 and i found it a bit hard at first catching up but you get up to speed pretty quick so you shouldnt worry too much.

In the whole three years there are two biomechanics subjects which require a fair bit of maths and physics and throughout some of the other subjects you are required to use math skills to work out, for example, VO2 (oxygen consumption) and so on. Alot of the maths is just plugging in numbers and re-arranging equations to find the unknown quantity, easy peasy :)

The ratio of prac to theory is about even. Most subjects have 2-3 hrs of lectures a week with 2 hrs of either tut or lab. It is fairly balanced but it really depends on the subject you are doing. Say with anatomy for example, every week you have 3hrs of lectures a week followed by 2 hrs in the lab looking at cadavers..YUM!! But for exercise science subjects there is a fair bit more emphasis on exercise testing and recording data

Hope that helps with your q!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)