is the new program the same.....i dont get it

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
mad as, so when can we download it??

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I already explained, it is a p2p bit torrent client, so you can run searches and stuff

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
You are a fucking gronk why would it be adware infested? On what basis have you formed this presumption?
It's created by the Suprnova people and they have clearly stated there won't be spyware.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
eXeem - Suprnova.org successor?
December 30, 2004 | Category: News | derek

After a few days of having a teaser on their site, Suprnova's Sloncek did an interview with NovaStream.org about a new P2P app and network called eXeem that will be released for download in a couple of weeks. It's being developed by a new, unnamed company, which asked Sloncek to be a representative for them.

It will be Windows only, with no Mac or Linux versions planned at this time. It will be ad supported, and not just banner ads either. It will be full of adware, most of which you can opt out of, according to Sloncek. Some of the less intrusive ones will be required for the application to function though.

Apparently eXeem is based off of BitTorrent, but is different enough that it can't be called a BitTorrent client, and I assume it won't be compatible with BitTorrents either.

The application will be downloadable from eXeem.com in a couple of weeks.

I'm a bit disappointed by this announcement myself... Mainly because of the lack of a Mac or Linux version and the ad-supported nature of it. That's why I stopped using Kazaa years ago. And not with most of the Torrent sites apparently shutting down, it's getting pretty hard to find a good torrent resource. I guess I'll just have to start recording my favorite TV shows or something. How 1990's.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
As said it is ad-supported of course, otherwise they would make no money but it is supposedly very easy to use it without them.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
http://news.com.com/A+new+hope+for+BitTorrent/2100-1032_3-5512230.html?tag=st.num

Dubbed Exeem, the software has already been distributed in a closed beta, or early test format, by the creators of the SuprNova.org Web site, which was until late last month the most popular hub for the BitTorrent file-swapping community.

Last week, the head of that now-defunct site, a man known as "Sloncek," officially announced the Exeem project in an interview on the NovaStream Webcasting network. He said that it would be a modified version of the popular BitTorrent technology, but transformed into a decentralized, searchable network similar to Kazaa or eDonkey.......

skip to last paragraph

In his interview, Sloncek said Exeem would be free, but ad-supported. A public version will likely be available "very soon," he said.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Adware supported usually means that there will probably always be some sort of adware present.

Boycott the the MPAA, download your movies!! :p

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Kazza calls GAIN ads as well, as in, its incredibly obvious the ads are there, you just won't be able to disable them without screwing up the program.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Soma said:
It's a p2p which uses Bit Torrent technology. The first of its kind.
bittorrent is a p2p program. it's a decentralised network that uses bittorrent

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Soma said:
He doesn't say adware-supported he says ad-supported.
And what kind of "ware" would one need to put ads into a program?

HSC
eXeem Privacy Policy:
http://www.exeem.com/privacy.htm

Third Party Advertising

The ads appearing on the Exeem.com Web site and within eXeem™ application are delivered by our web advertising partner, Cydoor. Information about users of eXeem™ and Exeem.com, such as the number of times they have viewed an ad (but not user name, address, or other personal information), is used to serve ads to users. If you would like more information about Cydoor, please visit: http://www.cydoor.com/Cydoor/Company/CompanyPrivacy.htm
http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/c/cydoor.asp
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cydoor.html
Personally, it's nothing I'd want running on my computer.

That said, there seems to be a lot of conjecture as to whether or not this is installed. I don't really see the reason for any argument about whether it's there or not, or whether or not this classifies as adware, when the installer's EULA clearly states:

Ads Licence Agreement

The software program you are about to install is an "adware" program,
meaning that we have partnered with Cydoor Technologies to deliver
small ads to the main window of the application, in order for Swarm
to bring targeted advertising.

The software will display web content such as banner ads, e-commerce offers,
news headlines and other value-added content. Cydoor Technologies created
this technology, and provides it to software developers to implement in
software programs. In turn, software developers choose to display ads
so that you can enjoy their products for FREE, and they can still earn
revenue from advertising.

How does it work?
The Cydoor component of a software application is simply a caching mechanism, which stores ads on your hard drive, and displays them only while the program is open. When the ads have expired, the component deletes old ads and contacts Cydoor's servers in order to receive new ones. To do this, the Cydoor component uses your Internet connection, which was designed to take up the minimum bandwidth on your line. Each ad banner on your hard disc is about 10Kbyte.

Finally, Cydoor Technologies, wants you to feel comfortable using this software. Be assured that respecting and maintaining your privacy is Swarm and Cydoor's top priority ethically and legally. If you have any questions or concerns, please visit the Cydoor website, www.cydoor.com, where you can review its privacy statement.
Soma, if that isn't adware then what is?

Edit: There's a public beta of eXeem Lite out, which doesn't include Cydoor. People interested in this alternative application can check it out at: http://www.exlite.net/.

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
why not use winMx. that has no ads at all. its only like 700 kbs to download and so far ihavent got 1 single corrupt file using it. use winmx

equiski

HSC
Because not everyone shares on WinMX, while on Exeem people are forced to upload while downloading at least. (There are ways around that too, of course.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)