Exclusion Principle (1 Viewer)

geniass

Can someone please clear this up for me, in one of my textbooks it says that Pauli's principle says that no two electrons can occupy the same energy state at any one time while another textbook says that no more that two electrons, with opposite spins, can occupy an energy level...which one is right?

rumour

HSC
Exclusion Principle: States that no two electrons can have the same four quantum numbers.

So I guess the second textbook which states that only two electrons(with opposite spins) can occupy the same energy level is right.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
ok no 2 elctrons can have the same quantum state, which can be identified by 4 quantum numbers:

Principle(n) which is what you'd call shells
Orbital (l) which describes the shape of subshells
Orbital Magnetic (m_l) which describes the orientation of orbit
and Spin (m_s) describing the spin of the electron

so essentially the 2 statements are saying the same thing... and no you dont need to know this for the hsc (though you can mention them when talking about how some of the features of the spretrum lines left unexplained by bohr can be explained...theres some details about this in either macmillan or contexts, but its just a few sentences of allusion)

rumour

HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
ok no 2 elctrons can have the same quantum state, which can be identified by 4 quantum numbers:

Principle(n) which is what you'd call shells
Orbital (l) which describes the shape of subshells
Orbital Magnetic (m_l) which describes the orientation of orbit
and Spin (m_s) describing the spin of the electron

so essentially the 2 statements are saying the same thing... and no you dont need to know this for the hsc (though you can mention them when talking about how some of the features of the spretrum lines left unexplained by bohr can be explained...theres some details about this in either macmillan or contexts, but its just a few sentences of allusion)
Quantum states =quantum numbers, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)