Exchange Students and Native Speakers (1 Viewer)

Have been an Exchange student / Are a native speaker / Neither?

• Exchange

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Native

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
Hey how many of u guys have been to germany for a trip or are native speakers?
personally i am neither and i'm worried about how well i'll do in german in the state. i'm in year 11 so i can still drop german at the end of the year if i want.
i desperately want a band 6 in all my subjects, and i chose german continuers basically because it has such a high percentage of band 6 students and i've topped german since year8 in my school. but i'm still worried about how i'll weigh up against the rest of the state, seeing as i'm neither a native speaker nor have ever been to europe. so i just want an idea of the level of german proficiency the rest of the state has.

Peartie

HSC
It doesnt matter if uve been on exchange or not.

Ive been on exchange but someone in my class whose only trip Overseas has been to Hong Kong is beating me and a person whos not left oz since they moved here ages ago (and has never been 2 Europe) is also beating me.

It depends on how well u work and know ur stuff....Alot of the native speakers are like "this is too easy" and make heaps of stupid mistakes so they're marks go down...I say GO FOR IT (at least Continuers if not extension)

elisabeth

HSC
Yeah, keep it - even if you don't do brilliantly, you can get band 6s in your other subjects and get a mad UAI.

The thing is, we all started off as beginners sometime... and I'd rather be not so good at something for a year but several years in the future, be fluent - then you'd be glad you didn't drop it.

I think if you work hard and make an effort to immerse yourself in German, you can do just as well as the others. I've only been on a one week long exchange, which is language learning times, is nothing, no native speaker either. But last year I worked hard and came equal 2nd in German continuers at OHS, from a class of 50. :D I've no idea how I'm doing this year though...

The point is, you might have to work harder but don't be threatened by fluent people, you can do well too.

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
wow.
i feel so much more reassured. i reckon i'll stick with german then.
THANX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)