Excellent foundation in 3U needed? (1 Viewer)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Well I was talking to a teacher about 4U and he said that it's imperative that students doing the 4U course needs to have a firm foundation in Induction, Trig, Circle geometry and Curve Sketching from 3U so it'll be beneficial to study up on those in the holidays.

So I just want to ask the people doing 4U, how important is Induction, Circle, Trig, Geometry and Curve Sketching?

Of course, I'm going to brush up on all of those no matter but I just wanted to know what they'll be used for in 4U. Is it for the Harder 3U topic?

zeek

HSC
1 chapter is dedicated to further curve sketching in the syllabus.
Circles, Trig, Geometry, Induction and Probability are all part of the Harder 3U topics. Also, induction is used throughout the course, as well as geometry (in mechanics) and trig (complex numbers and polynomials).

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Thanks for answering my question Zeek.

Looks like I'll have to really brush up on those. :eek:

zeek

HSC
lol dw about mate, i don't think you're expected to know them ALL perfectly. As long as you have knowledge in those areas with most of the formulae in ur head (which you should if you do questions)
Besides, most of the stuff you're supposed to learn is gonna be taught to you through the 4 unit material so don't spend too much time revising :) its the holidays, have fun lol.

H

housemouse

I wouldnt say you need an excellent foundation in 3 unit, just you know the basics and you'd get really better in 3 unit as the year goes on.

And dont stress on having to brush up on your knowledge on the stuff you learned in year 11, they'll become second nature once you get to the half yearlies.

Naylyn

HSC
If you actually know the things you get better at them in 4U, a perfect understanding is not required.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Thanks everyone for your advice. :)

Hmmm...sounds like I should relax but still brush up a little.

Is there anything particularly important from 2U? Maybe intergration?

zeek

HSC
lol... 2 unit... 2 unit becomes like piss easy stuff when you get through half the stuff in the 4 unit course.

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
Well after doing 4 unit maths, I found 3 unit maths alot easier

In year 11 I found 3unit hard and was only around 70%

In year 12 after doing some 4 unit topics 3 maths became alot easier and now I have a final raw mark in 3unit of 87%

Anyways the point is that as you do 4unit maths your 3unit maths grows with it, I don't think youd need to revise year 11 topics at all.

In 4unit maths once we got to polynomials, it only took me like 3 hours to revise all of year 11 polys etc.

Raginsheep

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Thanks everyone for your advice. :)

Hmmm...sounds like I should relax but still brush up a little.

Is there anything particularly important from 2U? Maybe intergration?
The topics covered in 4u are:

Integration
There's a whole topic on integration methods. Normally though, it'll be the easiest section of the HSC paper (although its probably one of the more important areas in many uni subjects). Bush up on being able to do integration quickly and accurately. Knowing your two unit work back to front will help.

Complex numbers
Probably the first topic you'll cover. Basic concepts are easy enough to understand and you'll mostly be using basic arithmetic skills so make sure that you can do that with minimal errors. First and only, completely new topic introduced for 4u only unless you consider basic arithmetic to count as a 2u/3u topic. Uses induction though. Occasionally and its easy.

Also leads on to polynomials.

Polynomials
Extension of any 2u and 3u work done on polynomials with the addition of the complex field. 2u and 3u polynomials is piss easy though. There are a number of theorems in 4u which you will need to memorise and their proofs. Also questions may ask you to express sin and cos as a function in x which you need to learn the method for.

Circular and Resisted Motion
Extension of the kinematics stuff done in 3u (and 2u?). Needs lots of integration but method is always the same.

Curve Sketching
To be honest, I never really did much 3u curve sketching but its there. I learnt all mine in 4u. That should give you an idea.

Harder 3u
Enough said. Ironically, also one of the harder areas of the course.

Extra fun stuff (not covered explicitly in the syllabus)
Sometimes included as a Q7 or Q8 in the HSC exam. An area which tends you seperate the good and the great mathematicans. Will lead you through it though so you should be able to get the 1st few parts and maybe scab marks from the rest of the question. Relies on your math skills and also a bit of luck on the day.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
An excellent foundation is not essential, but a solid foundation does help you excel over the 4u course and makes it that much easier when it comes to understanding, leading to the ability to apply your knowledge to new questions.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
A lot of great insight, especially from raginsheep and riviet.

Well, so far I haven't done any revising yet and your comments makes me less guilty that I haven't. :p

Affinity

HSC
Most people don't do well coz they are too tied up with "concepts" but can't even perform a simple algrebraic simplication or a simple integration

P

pLuvia

I doubt you need a excellent foundation, but probably just a bit above the basics, as most of the 3u stuff are covered in the 4u course, integration, polynomials etc.

Just look over your notes for 3u in the holidays, and if you want try to start some of the topics yourself, but don't burn yourself out too fast :) Or try some of the Harder 3u questions:D

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
pLuvia said:
Just look over your notes for 3u in the holidays, and if you want try to start some of the topics yourself, but don't burn yourself out too fast :) Or try some of the Harder 3u questions:D
Argh! The Harder 3U questions are the toughies. :p

Wackedupwacko

HSC
you dont need like a perfect 3u.... heck atm i have a funny feeling my 4u is better than my 3u :S (i havent done any 3u hsc yets but.... there are more things i dunno in 3u than in 4u so yea) but after mayb halfway thru the 4u course 3u exams become like stress relief... since most of it is covered and in more advanced work in 4u than 3u. and yes the hardest topic in 4u is by far is harder 3u.... in particular probability >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)