• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Exams - plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

wintergate

HSC
N/A
Is there such thing as plagiarism in exams? That is, copying from an essay you found word for word if an essay topic so happens to be exactly the same as what you've practiced.

From what I remember, a university tutor told me, its definitely legal to do so.

Doomah

HSC
r u retarded? you dont need to reference shit in exam. if you can recite word for word lecture slides or the textbook and answer the question then good on u.

hotdimsim

HSC
Is there such thing as plagiarism in exams? That is, copying from an essay you found word for word if an essay topic so happens to be exactly the same as what you've practiced.

From what I remember, a university tutor told me, its definitely legal to do so.
plagiarism is plagiarism, regardless if its done in an exam or not, or if you did it by memory or had the copied material in front of you. However, if the original work was yours then go for your life and copy. Plagiarism is only passing someone elses hard work off as your own.

I'm sure many students studying subjects that require analytical thought/extended answers just regurgitate info/study they've done

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you use someone else's work it still needs to be marked as that, i.e. in quotation marks. However, you don't need to write the reference location.

You cannot just rewrite someone elses essay. It constitutes as plagiarism, and if you get caught, you will be penalised.

wintergate

HSC
N/A
yeah it might be plagiarism, but assignments always have the shit on the cover about plagiarism, whereas exams never mention anything about plagiarism.

so i was thinking it should be alright to.

Andi0390

HSC
Most of the exams that I do (essay style ones) request that you reference certain readings or theories that you have studied in the course. You can also often use outside references but generally exams are just evaluating how much you learnt from the course and course material.

You still have to back up what you say to an extent but what most my units (each is different) tell me to do is just basically refer to a reading.

Like for Anthro I did something like this: "An example of this was shown in the "Tribe" article (course readings) where..."

Also, the exams I have do require that you sign a sheet with cheating and I believe plagiarism declarations.

If you did manage to learn an essay word for word, and then recite and someone found out I imagine they would somehow get you for cheating, perhaps thinking that you knew the essay question prior to the exam. I don't believe that the circumstances you describe would ever happen though.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
ur fucked dude, the teachers scan up exam papers and 'digitalise' the papers. then they cross check them off with all the papers on the database. You'll get kicked outa uni.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Just don't.
Referencing and citing appropriately is one thing, but spitting out someone else's essay word for word is just asking for trouble. Universities crack down on this kind of thing harder than you can imagine, and I can't see how it being done in an exam would change that.

Doomah

HSC
mate i regurgitate textbook, study guide and lecture note answers word for word all the time in exams...... get full marks all the time. they love it when u can spit out what they wrote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)