exam writers ask the question the wrong way (1 Viewer)

Arell

HSC
N/A
I'm sure we've all had these questions. The oens that come to my mind are
when one question was meant to be 10 degrees, but a zero had been used for the degrees symbol, so it was 10 to the power of zero, which = 1
also, the absolute value symbols where written with 1's, so the question read 12x + 21 < 0, when it was meant to be 2x + 2 < 0
anybody else had this sort of thing happen?

Giant Lobster

HSC
if they happened, ppl wud ask during the exam

or if no supervisor was authorised to give the necessary alterations, then its up to the students to use their common sense to auto correct

for things like the 10 degrees one, I think it would be unusual for a question involving angles to suddenly have 10^0. Besides, noone writes 1 like that :rolleyes: so yeah.

santaslayer

HSC
uhhh.. i havnt seen any questions asked like that before.....
but rest assured, if they do ask something stupid, or it has been put in a stoopid way, the hsc markers will take into account.
thats what happened in the 2002 hsc business studies exam.......

G

Gavvvvvin

Originally posted by GemmaHavok
What annoys me more is crappy photocopying jobs for sources and stuff, my eyes are bad enough as it is...
That always happens during our history and english exams, your meant te be analysing a picture which has been photocopied to look like a smudge of shit.

What annoys me even more though is in english when you have to do a listening task and you cant understand a word of what the person is saying because all the school has is a $20 tape player! :mad:

GemmaHavok

Suck my kiss
two floors down getting high in the backroom
HSC
Originally posted by _DeathlessOne_
That always happens during our history and english exams, your meant te be analysing a picture which has been photocopied to look like a smudge of shit.

What annoys me even more though is in english when you have to do a listening task and you cant understand a word of what the person is saying because all the school has is a $20 tape player! :mad:
totally... source analysis with crappy pictures screwed me over in my first HSC history assessment. Although I will admit it was in yr11 when I did jack shit.

G

Gavvvvvin

Originally posted by Giant Lobster
if they happened, ppl wud ask during the exam
No, you wouldnt ask during an exam, cos you wouldnt expect there to be any mistakes.

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Originally posted by Arell
when one question was meant to be 10 degrees, but a zero had been used for the degrees symbol, so it was 10 to the power of zero, which = 1
also, the absolute value symbols where written with 1's, so the question read 12x + 21 < 0, when it was meant to be 2x + 2 < 0
thats reeeeeeally bad. that should happen. get your school to write proper exams!

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh dont worry it wont happen in the hsc.. they check and recheck it alot of times.. even if it did happen they would leave the question off if like everyone got it wrong

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by cro_angel
yeh dont worry it wont happen in the hsc.. they check and recheck it alot of times.. even if it did happen they would leave the question off if like everyone got it wrong
Dont know about leaving it off...... Not the practice as I seem to recall (eg the 2001 HSC in SOR was a massacre because of the wording in many questions but they just opened up their marking criteria...... hence there being only 2 band 6's (? I think) in 2 unit....
More than likely as you said, there wouldnt be a mistake in the HSC papers as they are checked so many times its nots funny (CCC trials are another issue!! LOL)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Arell
a hint we got told is try not to take ur knowledge when interpreting the question, take the question for face value. in the hsc dont think oh .. they must mean this, they mean what they say its the hsc

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
good advice for the HSC. Got to remember that there is no-one in the room to ask for clarification during HSC exams... they are usually "parent" volunteers who have strict instructions to not answer exam related questions..............

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Not really the closest thing it has come to was a question in my maths mid-course which involved dropping a bomb from 40m travelling at 200km/h and then bounces 75m then 1/3 of that then 1/3 of that etc.

Since it was a 2U test I was told just to assume it drops vertically when I asked.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by snapperhead
good advice for the HSC. Got to remember that there is no-one in the room to ask for clarification during HSC exams... they are usually "parent" volunteers who have strict instructions to not answer exam related questions..............
arent they board o studies ppl? like for the school cert.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Nope- just mums and dads paid by the BOS to tell you when to start and when to finish! (same with the school certificate....)
(volunteers was the wrong word.......... but they are not full time employee's of the BOS either :) they wouldnt be allowed near the exam room......)
Usually there is one person who is the supervisor and s/he organises for other ppl to help out. I think you have to apply through the BOS and you cant have relatives/children sitting the current exam. Most of the time they are "ex-parents", current junior parents or retiree's (kinda like voting officials........)
LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)