Exam Bitching (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawforever

HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
ACTL1001 today. difficulty was more or less on par with what i expected. slightly harder compared to 2003 paper, although the trend is that the papers have been getting harder every year. but in my opinion, not overly hard, as in impossible. for me, nothing really to bitch about, maybe except the macro pricing question

*hopes for 80 in ACTL1001

lawforever: i think the hardness is to discourage people (being sachi and all), and basically to filter out those *hmm how to say it... who lack the ability that is required for actuary... i know it sounds harsh, but not everyone can be an actuary..

wat i heard from my friend is most of ppl all didn't perform that well today.
and in fact, wat it does matter is the rank but not mark. but i m not quite sure what raw mark would give a credit this year.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, I calculated that I can get minimum 68 for each of my subjects this semester and still maintain my WAM at Distinction (75.025 or something)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
My max WAM will probably be 55. lol. It was 53 last semester.

The joy's of doing absolutely nothing and taking absolutely zero notes ( I have one book which is used for all my subjects and I haven't reached 1/4 of a 100 page book) in the first 13 weeks of uni and cramming at the end.

refer to sig, im a pro at it. haha.

Funny when I pull out a textbook in my chinese final with the teacher sitting like only a few metres away from me.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Minai said:
Hmm, I calculated that I can get minimum 68 for each of my subjects this semester and still maintain my WAM at Distinction (75.025 or something)

minai - how did u go?... i remembered like 25 cases for PArt V of TPA, but i only managed 4 cases for contracts... had a mental block, and i was just sitting there twiddling my thumb and admiring the quality of paper...

dave - u looked pretty happy when u came out man... :p

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
lawforever said:
wat i heard from my friend is most of ppl all didn't perform that well today.
and in fact, wat it does matter is the rank but not mark. but i m not quite sure what raw mark would give a credit this year.
i spoke to people about it. they all claim they failed, which is usually bullcrap. so i wouldnt listen to what people say. as for macro pricing, it was our bloody assignment. im pissed off that i didnt bother reading/understanding my assignemnt and just summarised the chalke article. oh well, time to worry about my other subjects.

maniacguy

That's a favourite of Sachi's :)

The theory being that if you've done your own assignment properly, then you'll be fine when you see the same question again in a quiz/ the final exam. If you've just copied it then you'll be screwed. It encourages people to at least make sure they understand the assignment, whether or not they've actually done it entirely by themselves.

Quite a good theory, actually, and he's not the only actuarial lecturer who subscribes to it...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
maniacguy said:
by themselves.

Quite a good theory, actually, and he's not the only actuarial lecturer who subscribes to it...
im sure hes not the onlylecturer in uni who does it. it was done quite often in high schoool as well.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
either way, ACTL1001 was a hard paper. but as mentioned above, rank is what matters. I quote none other than Sachi himself, "there is an element of scaling involved".

maniacguy: yes it teaches people not just to copy assignments. If they can't catch you copying/plagarising, it comes to haunt you in the final exam:p

lawforever

HSC
maniacguy said:
That's a favourite of Sachi's :)

The theory being that if you've done your own assignment properly, then you'll be fine when you see the same question again in a quiz/ the final exam. If you've just copied it then you'll be screwed. It encourages people to at least make sure they understand the assignment, whether or not they've actually done it entirely by themselves.

I will not be fine when seeing the macro pricing question. ;)
i did the whole assignment myself and spent around 5+ hours trying to read and understand the chalke article. But in the exam, it z almost impossible for me to reproduce the assignment just by memory. and no many ppl would be bother remembering the assignment summary cuz heaps of time may be just wasted if that z not gonna be in the exam.

Apart from the macro pricing, the multiple choice is hard too. There r a few questions i still have no clue after having done all the past papers and tut questions. (this seems all those revision i ve done are so useless lol)

anyway, if i dun fail i will stay in actl next year.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
lawforever said:
anyway, if i dun fail i will stay in actl next year.
i feel the same way
but it's a matter of whether i would work harder next year or keep the same laziness i did this entire semester

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
truly-in-bliss said:
minai - how did u go?... i remembered like 25 cases for PArt V of TPA, but i only managed 4 cases for contracts... had a mental block, and i was just sitting there twiddling my thumb and admiring the quality of paper...

dave - u looked pretty happy when u came out man... :p
hmm I didnt go 'that' well
I dunno, I just ran out of things to talk about, only wrote about six pages for each question!
I just hope I covered everything from the Part V question, there was heaps of crap to write there!

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
is everyone here doing something mathematical?

i must be the only person who has to write essays! 2 for english and 4 for politics :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
I used 16 pages out of 24 in my Comp Arch test :p

gman03

HSC
I'm praying i would be ready for my physics exam as well as noosh's elec1041 stupid exam

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
yay i screwed up my english assessment bcos it was a listening task, and wth actually listens in class anyway

lawforever

HSC
hbk_ace said:
got Macro on monday, im so failing,

Just have a feeling that macro z not gonna be easy as in midsession.

they expect us 2 explain the movement of the point on those graphs.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
lawforever said:
Just have a feeling that macro z not gonna be easy as in midsession.

they expect us 2 explain the movement of the point on those graphs.
damm i should have done the macro pricing q...lost 15% already...fark fark fark

hoping to pass actl...hehe

good old maths

i want my wam to remain as it is now :'(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)