Exactly how hard is it to get into VisCom from InSearch? (1 Viewer)

Vernaaam

HSC
I'm in love with UTS, and no matter what happens, I want to end up studying there.
After seeing the cut-off for Visual Communication as 93, I thought that was completely un-achieveable, as my grades in high school are no where near that.

So naturally, I thought about InSearch, as I only need a 67.
However, I thought after you complete your diploma you were instantly guaranteed entry into the Bachelor course.
But the InSearch website says I need to get a 6.5 GPA (7 point scale) to get into the Bachelor course.

So does that mean I basically need 6.5/7 for the whole year?
Is this super hard?
I think I could do it, because i'm really intrested in Graphic Design, and i've always topped my classes and gotten straight A's in the Technology/Design classes in High School.
I'm just scared cause i'm worried that if I don't get the 6.5, I won't be able to get into the Bachelor course.

If any VisComm student's who did InSearch could please help me out it'd be much appreciated.

msh

HSC
It's hard to speculate as it really is up to you to gain that score. It'd be like asking how hard is it to achieve the 90 something for Vis comm straight from high school. A GPA of 6.5 out of 7 is definitely a challenge but if you feel that this is your talent and passion in life and you are ready to commit yourself in achieving that goal, it isn't impossible.
You should always have a back up though. I believe you can get into COFA UNSW design with a diploma from UTS In search, should things not turn out the way you expected.

free533

HSC
I don't know if you're still wondering or not but i'll give a reply anyway for those who'd like to know. btw, I just completed my diploma of design last week.....yep, you have two weeks of your semester after Christmas (lol, don't ask me why).

As for your question,
1. The completion of your diploma doesn't guarantee you a place. each course has a GPA requirement and if you get a GPA higher than the one required then you are guaranteed a place, no questions asked. No portfolios or interviews needed. btw, the GPA for vis comm is 6/7........the website is outdated, trust me :)

2. Is it super hard? The course work is not hard. You won't get a long GPA because you're stupid........what it takes more than anything is organisation and commitment. i'm not saying i'm an expert but trust me. The only difference between students who get a GPA of 5 and a GPA of 6 is pure commitment. They study more and put more time into their work.

3. A GPA of 6 means an average of distinctions. This means that for all 9 courses that you do (3 semesters, 3 courses), you must get an average of distinctions for courses. This means that if you get a credit for one course, then you need to get a HD for another course to make it up which is really hard. Out of maybe 120+ students doing the same assignment, only around 2-6 may get a HD.

A GPA of 6 is not impossible however it is quite hard to get. but like i said, if you're committed, then you'll be ok. I got an ATAR of 75.55 in 2010 and i'm not stupid, i'm just lazy. I went to insearch and though i don't have my final marks yet, i'm currently on 5.3 (which is good because i want to go into architecture which is a GPA of 5).

If anyone has any questions, i'll be glad to answer them :)

bettina44

HSC
I hope you got into the course you wanted! It would be better to go to another uni where you make the cut off then spend thousands on Insearch. There are at least 3 universities in sydney offering vis comm/design. Uni staff are not loyal to a particular uni and often teach at different unis so they practically deliver the same thing. Hope this can help other students!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)