• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

everyones studying? ahh (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
5 hours is astronomical! Although I can understand why :). I suppose every odd day I might pull five hours... but only occassionally.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
not at all
not if you space it out during the day
Actually I forgot I will be getting AT LEAST 50 mins of free period per day at school during a normal week. I would be able to make 4 hours at home :), not too bad I suppose... but then again, my free's at school will be consumed by a little catch up work (because I will miss some to go into the HSC maths class) and consumed by more maths work :D haha. I think each night I will be doing at least 3 hours of notetaking/revision/homework/assessments spread across the subjects... I think I often did at least one-two in year 10 from homework, so I can't see 4hrs being too much on most days.

But of course, every single day of 5 hours would wear me down too much... I would need nights to kick back and not do much.

shantu1992

HSC
Actually I forgot I will be getting AT LEAST 50 mins of free period per day at school during a normal week. I would be able to make 4 hours at home :), not too bad I suppose... but then again, my free's at school will be consumed by a little catch up work (because I will miss some to go into the HSC maths class) and consumed by more maths work :D haha. I think each night I will be doing at least 3 hours of notetaking/revision/homework/assessments spread across the subjects... I think I often did at least one-two in year 10 from homework, so I can't see 4hrs being too much on most days.

But of course, every single day of 5 hours would wear me down too much... I would need nights to kick back and not do much.
yeah you've got the right idea and everything
you also know where youre at and what your doing
which is heaps good and organised
im sure you will do really well

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

I don't believe in having set amounts of hours to study. I have goals which I set out to do every day. If I finish them within lets say 1-2 hours, I reward myself with the rest of the day off. If I don't finish them, I carry on into the night until I do finish them.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't believe in having set amounts of hours to study. I have goals which I set out to do every day. If I finish them within lets say 1-2 hours, I reward myself with the rest of the day off. If I don't finish them, I carry on into the night until I do finish them.

if i kept doing that then id be up til like 3-4 haha. Do that though. That way you can make yourself stick to a study plan.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Yeah what the fuck? You don't need to use your holidays for study for year 11...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no idea. I didn't study for Year 11.
I'm going to for the benefit of myself and to ensure that I top each class (aiming for dux this year). I'm not going to study crazily but enough to ensure I stay 1st in each class (except English, hopefully I can get to 3rd this year).

It's actually quite funny when comparing my school to others. Many other selective schools or private schools have THE most intelligent/academic students choosing the subjects I have chosen (most of them: Physics, Chemistry, MX1) and not to mean any offense, but many asian students in the Sydney region. My school isn't the smartest out there (only within the top 300, I think) and my classes will be filled with "wanna be's" and slack arses. Every other piece of competition I have has chosen histories, extensions in english, business/legal/economics or PDHPE (why?).

It's kinda left me as my only competition, so I have to be on the ball to compete against the many on here and those that have elected other subjects. I just hope the others in my class don't suddenly snap and become child prodigy's over night! :spzz:

Air Jordan

HSC
Haha, I'm quite positive that your classmates won't become super smart over night lol, although many people do only start trying in year 11 or 12 (I know I was very slack in year 7 - 9). Good luck with getting dux ^^ Did you get it any other year?

simmowrites

HSC
Guys, I know you have probably heard all this before, but make the most of the relaxation time that you have now. Seriously. I used to hate it when the 08'ers would say "its just year 11" but now I can see where they are coming from.

For me year 11 was just a complete waste of time. I don't think I picked up a book to study once.

I got 44% in IPT, 65% in Adv English and 50% in Gen. Maths in the prelim yearlies. Came basically last in those subjects.
In the assessment tasks for those subjects now that I'm in year 12, I am now ranked first in all 3 (out of between 20 and 75 students).

I was pretty much the 'dumb one' of my group in year 11, the other guys were heaps competitive and fighting for ranks (even in year 11) and I could not care less, this year is a completely different story.

What I'm saying is just cruise through year 11 as best you can, don't stress too much about grades and ranks because its all bullshit. Wait for year 12 to prove your capabilities.

Thats just my opinion, hope I didn't come across as patrionising.
Good Luck

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Man there are some really creepy nerds in here from the sounds of these posts. Why the fuck would you be studying for year 11? I hardly study at all, like maybe 10 minutes the night before an exam and still manage top 10 in the grade..

You people need to relax.. get outdoors and enjoy life. School is not the only thing in life, and it is really not that important. A good education is, sure. But you should be absorbing all the relevant info now and blocking out the useless shit that schools tend to teach thesedays.

I really wouldn't like to meet some of you guys in real life lol..
Hehe, you have good natural talent then to get in the top 10 of the grade without studying... and a great memory.

In reply to Air Jordon: No, not apart from Year 5/6 primary hehe. I came second in years 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Last edited:

shantu1992

HSC
lol are we talking about before school study as well
lol oh for school dayss haha .. yeah 5 hours aeverydady is like jedi and crazy
but im preety sure still some people do that much lol
and yeah ithink you would have to go before school aswell if its 5 hours on school days..
but on holidays 5 hours a day spread out is not much

shantu1992

HSC
year 11 is very important in some aspects
for example if you go to a school where they monitor your marks throughout the year and they tell you whether or not you can keep that subject for the HSC year or whether you can pick up an extension two.. these things matter heaps for some students ans schools so its always good to stufy and build a solid foundation for year 12.. alot of the stuff in year 11 you will need in year 12 .. like for example with my subjects maths definately and economics yeep.. aslo physics (not to the greatest extent though)

PrettyVacant

HSC
Guys, in hindsight this won't matter to you. I didn't even study in yr 12 holidays...and I did FINE!

Air Jordan

HSC
To everybody who keeps saying that you don't need to study we appreciate your concern. HOWEVER, if you didn't study, and you did crap in your HSC, would you not regret not studying? Some people may be naturals but not the majority of us... Even if I didn't do too bad, I would still think that I could've done better because I could have studied more. I want to do my best for the HSC but I don't think I could say that if I didn't study. Of course I'm not saying you should just study 24/7 until the HSC, but some people are saying how they didn't even study once.

PrettyVacant

HSC
LOL okay okay, I didn't study in the YR 12 HOLIDAYS. It's safe to assume I did study during the yr (though not so much in yr 11), as I did get 98+. OF COURSE I could have done better, but you will find 99.99% of people will agree they could have studied more or revised more or made more notes, at the end of the day, just enjoy the HSC!!! I hear it only gets worse in Uni...

Also it's not about the UAI, it's about getting into the course you want to get into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)