events leading to ww1 (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
i was just confused whether we need to study the events leading to ww1 for our half yearlies and other exams (stuff we studied in preliminary) cuz they werent in the syllabus(unless i missed it) or if they're just backround info?

veridis

droog
HSC
half yearlies content depends more on your teachers/school deciding. but prelim stuff wont be in there and not much of the wwi leadup would be asesse by most schools

pig_93

HSC
i think we do need it...
like the world at the beginning of the 20th century stuff u mean?
just its good to get a good overview on it in case we get a question that is really early in the syllabus is the schlieffen plan or something about the political state of a country.

all i've done is get a lil overview on it so ill reccommend that, my teacher hasnt specified any of that for the half yearly or anything so just assume and get some knowlegdge on it i spose

HSC
I guess the easiest answer is that you just need to know the stuff as a bit of a background for what you'll right (ie. just to help you understand the sources and where the author has come from in putting forward the ideas they are). I really don't think you need to know specifics, nor need to waste your time on them - a general understanding of how stuff fits together is basically all that's required of you i reckon. so, in essence, an understanding of the prelim core just helps with your understanding of the hsc core, i think.
I find it wierd that so much time is spent teaching students the specifics of this topic, when all you need to do is be able to put the source in its own context and then analyse it in the context of the question. It's the national, personality, and international study that will really require you to spend time making sure you understand the specifics and where it all links, that's what'll set you apart. That's just what I think, I could be wrong though.

roseangel

Take the Money and Run
HSC
Well, in my experience it's safest to have at least a little background knowledge on what caused the war. Know about the assassination of the Archduke as the last straw on the camel's back, and about the basic ideological lead ups. Just to simply summarise, you should know that the following had impacts on the world of the early 20th century:

Nationalism:
* The strong feeling of support for one’s country
* Nationalists believed the needs of their country were more important than the needs of other nations.
* Wanted their country to be richest and most important, and seen that way by others
* Nationalism often made people aggressive towards other nations, and unforgiving if they thought their country had been wronged

Imperialism:
* Desire of countries to own colonies and create an empire
* Countries often wanted the same area of land, which led to tension between them
* As each European nation gained colonies, these colonies became committed to helping the motherland in the event of a war

Militarism:
* Militarists believed their countries should be well armed, and military methods could be used to gain nationalist needs
* Great Powers competed in building up their armed forces and supply of weapons
* This became the Arms Race and added to fear and anger towards each other

Alliance System:
* Alliances are agreements between nations
* In the war, Europe was split into two armed camps, which became increasingly hostile towards one another
* Triple Alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy)
* Triple Entente (Britain, France, Russia)
* Thus, a conflict between counties then included other countries as well

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I agree with roseangel- just have a decent understanding of those concepts and only remember a few of the specific events (ie: chain of events from when Franz Ferdinand was assasinated till 4th Aug, Germany invades France. These specific events ussually fall within the concepts roseangel has mentioned.

Remember, only superficial knowlege of the events is required- it is your skills in analyzing the sources that will get you the marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)