Evaluate??? (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You go through and measure its validitity and reliability. Ie is the method correct and did it return the same answer each time.

felafel

Validity - does the experimental procedure address the aim of the experiment?

Reliability - is the experimental procedure correct? eg. when preparing a standard solution for titration, was the volumetric flask filled so that the BOTTOM of the meniscus was in line with the mark?

Risk Assessment - blab on about Bunsen Burners - direct, indirect burning, acids, etc.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
You could also make a more general evaluation of an experiment - for example, does it achieve its purpose? Consider, for example the question on the breaking down cellulose on the CSSA trial of 2002.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
You could be asked about whether a properly performed titration is reliable and accurate. You could be asked about the impact on each of these of various mistakes - like filling past the graduation mark in the volumetric flask (no effect on reliability, but reduces accuracy), or of washing the burette with water (decreases both accuracy and reliability). You could be asked how they might be improved - for example, dilution can improve accuracy, as there are less moles per drop.

With respect to validity, you could be asked things like the effect of using the wrong indicator - this could render the experiment invalid, in which case it will also be inaccurate, but it would still be reliable.

You could possibly even be asked about other factors thta might invalidate an experiment - for example, when I was at school, we did a titration to determine the quantity of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) in a headache tablet, by titration with NaOH - the results were way off because the design of the experiment was invalid. This was becasue the tablet contained 30 mg of aspirin and 300 mg of citric acid, and of course both reacted with the NaOH.

You could also be asked about safety - there's not a huge amount to say about a titration safety wise, but you can always find something to talk about - such as with dealing with pipettes, how to avoid the risk of stabbing yourself by incorrectly putting on the pipette filler. Most indicators are not good for you as well - phenolphthalein, for example, is a powerful laxitive - so usual safety precautions to prevent ingestion, etc.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
like my chem lab :rolleyes: @ uni

mass of cruicble > mass of crucible +agcl

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
like my chem lab :rolleyes: @ uni

mass of cruicble > mass of crucible +agcl
Did you dry the crucible to constant mass, then allow it to cool under nitrogen?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Did you dry the crucible to constant mass, then allow it to cool under nitrogen?
forget it. i handed my lab report on the dot 5pm the instructor was waiting for me LOL:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)