Evaluate the 3 battles and their importance (1 Viewer)

delz

HSC
How were the Battles of; The Somme, Verdun and Paschendael important/ significant in the war eg. did they influence the outcome of the war??

Anyone knows anything I reallt need heaps of help
PLEASE

HELP ME!!

Delz

pig_93

HSC
hey
u know thats such a good question and im sorry i dont have a clear cut answer
my only advice is that they all were very under planned
somme was the worst with a HUGGGE loss of life (and first time tanks were used) the brts thought the war was gonna be won at somme (how wrong they were)
but yeah, all just big attacks that went bad
good luck
hopefully more ppl will help u out on this one
see ya

veridis

droog
HSC
somme was the first big massacre. realities of mechanised warfare realy set in. brit public didnt like the "innocent" volenteer soldiers being slaughtered as they were volenteers not career soldiers. haigs crap tactics were first exposed here. bad weather exasperated bad trench conditions making it one of the wort battles. should have been over quick but haig too stubborn
verdun was where the germans hoped they could win by breaking french morale. after that initialy failed and they saw that the frogs werent giving up they decided just to kill as many french as they could to try and win by attrition
paschendale was a brit offensive to take pressure off french at verdun and retake parts of belgium. ended up much like somme

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)