European Weather (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Question for those souls fortunate enough to have had a White Christmas/Winter in Europe, how is the weather there around October, November, December, January?

Specifically,

FRANCE
- the south coast of France on the Mediterranean
- Paris
- Brittany
- East of it, near Metz/Nancy/Strasbourg

Does it snow? Very crappy?

GERMANY
- Munich/Southern
- Hamburg/Northern
- Berlin
- The Ruhr, Netherlandsish.

DENMARK
- Copenhagen

CZECH REP.
- Prague
- anywhere in coutnry!

LIECHTENSTEIN/AUSTRIA
- anywhere

So yeah, does it ever snow? Temperatures? It varies greatly from X to Y?

Also, what kind of clothes are you inclined to need? I have no concept of the real cold so yeah, and can big coats/boots whatever be bought in AUstralia?

Bit long winded, hehe :)
MANY MANY cheers in advance.
Chpas :D

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
hey chepas

Well, nth france and germany are still quite ok in october, but long sleeved weather. Anything after that its quite cold and occasionally rainy. Leichtenstein/Austria are both quite nippy in all of that period because of the mountains and altitude. Oh, pack gloves and good boots (maybe a hat?) because hands and feet get quite cold easily.

Are you meeting someone at the airport? If so, ask them to bring a spare big jacket along, because you'll find that they will be cheaper/more variety there. However, start looking now at jackets here, and it might be worthwhile spending a bit of money on a really nice warm jacket.

Hmm, av. temp on flat lands is anywhere from 3 to -3 degrees celsius.

Chapstick is essential, because you can get really cracked lips in the cold dry weather- even IF you're a guy (any snowboarder knows that :) ).

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Might be relevant :p

Hungary, December 1993:
- It was cold. It snowed on X-Mas day. The lake was frozen over.

Hungary, January 2001:
- It was cold. It snowed a little bit (but it was mostly muddy-slush) and the lake was sort of frozen-ish.

You will need a big jacket and more than likely one which is wind-resistant. Take or buy as many chapsticks as you possibly can because you WILL need to use those.

chepas

HSC
Re: Chapstick. Yer. Walking to school I get chapped lips a lot, and that's what reminds me! And it's diabolical for brass instrument players... Vaseline is good for that cos its so thick, but it makes you look like you're drooling. :p~~

For decent jackets are the big sales on some time in Aust for winter stuff? Though seems logical to buy it over there cos then I don't have to lug it.

Re: Hungary and frozen lakes, woah. Would that be common up north? Though down Hungary way that sort of surprises me...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The Mediterranean usually stays at about Hobart temperatures during the winter. It snows in most places, but obviously more in Scandinava than Central Europe. Its always wet in England, lol. My cousin has recently gone to Europe, and it was summer over there and he said he had to go to the gold coast to thraw out. lol. But going over there in winter, u would need large coats and boots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)