Ethnographic study??? HELP (1 Viewer)

Roslyn1

hi, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what an ethnographic study is because i have forgotten and can't find it in any of my notes. Your help would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou
Roslyn

*Erika*

HSC
its finding out the beliefs attitudes and values of a group in society, you research by learning about the day to day lives of the group, by observation and interaction...

its a qualitative methadology (well obviously, hehe)

hope that helps a bit

Roslyn1

Thanks *Erika*,
i'm a little bit confused because that sounds a lot like a case study. Are case studies more in depth views of smaller groups within a society, like a family that is within Australia, rather than on the whole society??

mishka

HSC
N/A
ethnographic studies are like case studies except they focus on all the different aspects of a certain group. as erika said, you're finding out about the customs, beliefs, attitudes and values of a certain group. it might be for an ethnic group (eg Aborigines) or a subculture (surfers etc.). you have to observe and learn about the everyday lives of the people from those groups.

case studies involves finding information about one person or a small group by using a number of methodologies, eg observation, questionnaire, interviews and secondary research. :) good luck!!

*Erika*

HSC
yeah, its like a case study...this is what the sylabus calls it...

"ethnographic study

The systematic collection of data derived from direct observation of the everyday life of a particular society, group or subculture. This methodology requires the researcher’s immersion in the culture/subculture under study and is an interactive process. The researcher is interested in understanding the customary actions, beliefs, knowledge and attitudes of the social group as these are reflected in the ways of engaging in everyday life."

Roslyn1

Thankyou guys so much!! i was driving myself insane over those two methodologies .... exam jitters i suppose. Once again, thankyou

HSC
itsl ike just going somewhere and living amongst your foccus group to see how they live

say if i wanted to learn alot bout aboriginal beliefs etc

i go live with them, live their life, get a feel of what they live like and what they do...then report on it........its like the movie 'almost famous' the dude was a journalist studying a rock group and he went on tour and shit and reported on what it was like...i think if i remember the movie clearly lol

i had a whole question on ehtnographic study in my trials and i got full marks yay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)