Ethnic orientation of students (1 Viewer)

powerhouse

HSC
Hello,

Without sounding racist or discriminatory, what is the main ethnic background of students at Macquarie? For example, I heard that UTS is mostly Asian whilst UoW is mostly Australian.

Cheers.

X

xeuyrawp

powerhouse said:
Hello,

Without sounding racist or discriminatory, what is the main ethnic background of students at Macquarie? For example, I heard that UTS is mostly Asian whilst UoW is mostly Australian.

Cheers.
Main ethnic background would probably be Asian, if you include Australian Asians and Asian Asians. :)

iwannarock

HSC
mostly asian and indian.

angl-australians are probably a minority.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
powerhouse said:
UoW is mostly Australian.
Like Shire bogan/yobbo Australian?

iwannarock said:
angl-australians are probably a minority.
Depends on the degree. For e.g. in Law it's predominantly anglo...with a few from a jewish background. No International students whatsoever.

Humanities tends to be nearly all anglo as well. Pysch and Media is mostly (hot) anglo girls.

Life Sciences and Chiro is a mixed I think.

BBA has anglos, asians, europeans, americans and meixcans.

The rest are probably East-Asian/Indian dominated.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
anything commerce related: asian and indians.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Our uni has 7,000 International Students, (only ~6-800 behind UNSW) but they arent predominantly asian, there are a great number of european and americans, moreso than most people think, its just they are mainly in the humanities and SCMP. The reason people assume we have a majority of asians, is because SIBT and Commerce sections are in the central part of uni, and so it looks like we do. I think we have a good share, there are hardly any in many of my units, and theyre quite big (SOC, MAS, PHIL and other SCMP i assume).

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
AsyLum said:
The reason people assume we have a majority of asians, is because SIBT and Commerce sections are in the central part of uni, and so it looks like we do...
So the apparent skew should change once the new EFS building opens up over in the far-E section?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha hopefully, then the Science, Computing and Commerce blocks will be out there, and they'll be more likely to go to Mac Centre and let the arts out of the ghastly W5/6 blocks :p

HSC
N/A
Call me nuts but I would say the asian: american/aussie/anglo ratio is about even, if not more skewed towards the latter (mind you, I'm a SCMP student, AND asian myself to boot).

I'm aware that the "big" courses at Mac - commerce, accounting and such - are heavily asian-dominated, but they're always hiding out in that C5C building anyway (at least, I think so!), and I never see them!

In all honesty, I have only done *one* course this entire year that's been noticably asian-dominated, and that was MKTG101. I don't think my second year will be any different, so in my opinion Mike's got a good point going when he points out that the SIBT and Commerce are the "central" courses at Mac.

And can someone please tell me what EFS is?! I have no idea!

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
efs? think they refering to economics, finance society?

bba is the course for multiculturalness...

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
EFS refers to the Division of Economic and Financial Studies

Not to be confused with ECFS - Economics, Commerce and Finance.

Stupid name for a soc...shoulda just called it ComSoc.

^___^
HSC
you want asians?? UNSW and USYD

Mq i found, compared to the above two, to be more..less asian orientated, that said, theres still alot of them around

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i dno i find macq more asian orientated (i occasionally visit usyd/unsw) but mayb thats coz of my course

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
:: ryan.cck :: said:
i dno i find macq more asian orientated (i occasionally visit usyd/unsw) but mayb thats coz of my course
That's cos you only hang around asians dude :S

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There aren't that many asians at USYD. They all go to UNSW. That's why they call it the University of New South China.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)