Ethene and Ethanol (1 Viewer)

tennille

HSC
Is the dehydration of ethanol exothermic or endothermic? What about the hydration of ethene to make ethanol?

Paroissien

HSC
I'm not entirely sure, but I'll take a guess and so they are both endo.
Do we need to know this?

tennille

HSC
Im not sure but I saw a CSSA trial where the multiple choice asked which reaction was exothermic and 2 of the answers involved the above reactions. I don't think we have to know, though.

Paroissien

HSC
Anyway, you worried me, so I went looking for the answer.
Hydration is exothermic, and in fact so is dehydration.
And on another note, what is the best catalyst for hydration? Phosphoric acid or dilute sulfuric acid?

tennille

HSC
I would put dilute sulfuric acid. Isn't phosphoric acid for dehydration?

Paroissien

HSC
I know for certain that concentrated sulfuric acid is used for dehydration; but hydration is another matter. Different text books say different things, but I think I'll stick with dilute sulfuric acid

nit

HSC
Conc sulfuric is used for dehydration, dilute is used for any reactions in which it purely acts as a catalyst.

As for the difference between phosphoric and sulfuric acids in terms of their catalysing properties for the hydration reaction, there's not much difference. They are both required to protonate to form H+ ions which will add to the ethene double bond, so theres a good chance that the stronger acid (highest Ka) would be the better catalyst. But as both of them are strong acids (Ka -> infinity), they are likely to have very similar catalysing properties for this reaction.

LSP

HSC
also, conc sulfuric acid in dehydration reaction is used to absorb the water. hence it will produce more ethene
Conc. H2SO4
CH5OH ------> C2H4 + H2O

and for hydration, dilute H2SO4 is used.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Make sure you put arrows both way, otherwise that formula makes no sense with the statement you just made.

C<sub>2</sub>H<sub>5</sub>OH <<sup>___Conc. H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>___</sup>> C<sub>2</sub>H<sub>4</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If you are saying that the concentrated sulfuric acid draws the water away then you will need double arrows otherwise if it is a one way there is no point as it will only go that way till completion.

Paroissien

HSC
Would that accept arrows like this <---> in the HSC or would you have to draw the proper ones; you know the ones I mean

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
But geez, it's not hard to draw half an arrow going one way and another half-arrow below that going the other way. :p

Paroissien

HSC
Yeah, I kinda realised that, and in fact that is what I always do, but I was bored and needed the post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)