Essays (1 Viewer)

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
When listing stuff in an essay is it ok to use dot points?? I've been told not to... but it makes it easier to read for me so I would assume that the marker would appreciate it too...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
moo_moo_molly said:
When listing stuff in an essay is it ok to use dot points?? I've been told not to... but it makes it easier to read for me so I would assume that the marker would appreciate it too...
what subject are you talking about? but generally i don't think you should list stuff in an essay at all, unless its highly necessary (and i don't mean listing it downwards i mean as you cont. writing), as to me it won't seem very analytical.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Ease of reading and formal, extended response are two completely different things.

Point-form is normally brilliant for notes because you're able to say what you want to say without worrying about integration, style and structure.

However an essay requires far more than mere content - the form (ie integration, style, structure, language et all) is equally important, hence the reason you will be MARKED DOWN if you resort to point form in an essay. Put bluntly, if they want it in point form then they will specify as such.

Use chunk form (ie analysing one text at a time) if that's easier for you, but try to avoid literal suicide by resorting to pure point form :S

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
moo_moo_molly said:
Don't. Use commas!
Lists are not essay format dearest

HSC
N/A
luscious-llama said:
Don't. Use commas!
Lists are not essay format dearest
But also don't fall into the trap of 'reformatting' dot points, but using commas.

Example 1:

* Shakespeare uses iambic pentameter which keeps a rhythmical nature present through the play.
*But this changes when Hamlet speaks.
*Hamlet represents a 'new age' man.

Example 2:

Shakespeare uses iambic pentameter which keeps a rhythmical nature present through play. But this changes when Hamlet speaks, Hamlet represents a "new age" man.

Note how example 1 and 2 basically look and sound the same, even if you do use commas and cut and paste to make it look more like a paragraph.

Learning how to write sentences that flow and how to structure essays is an art in itself - that's why they make you write essays! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)