essay 'shaping understanding' question (1 Viewer)

Sammy_b

HSC
I have to write an essay with the folowing question:

'How have the texts you have studied shaped your understanding of the meaning of 'Physical Journeys?'

Gosh, I hate those types of questions, but my school seems to like them.

Anyways, has anybody else had to write (or is currently writing) something similar? Any ideas for what I can say I've 'learnt'?

Here are some ideas I've come up with so far (I'll be writing about Huck Finn and The Road Not Taken btw):

- Many endings often give rise to new beginnings ambiguity, indefinite start and end etc
- Often involve 'going against the tide', defying society's expectations, breaking conventions etc - often more is learn that way
- Overcoming obstacles often leads to a change of mood for the rest fo the journey.

??? I think that last one might be getting a little desperate though.
Any tips peoples?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Ask yourself these first in each text:
What is being said
How is it being said
and the Value of it being said

You should talk about techniques used in each text.. thats all that english is about.. recognising the techniques and how these techniques make the text relevant to physical journeys.

You should never forget your question too. it plays a vital clue in which who the target audience may be and what style it should be written in.

whether these texts have given you more input on physical journeys or has left you totally blank, should be said-privided you have evidence to support your point of view. i, and the vast majority would say that these texts have influenced in a good way, mainly because it is easier to prove that it is ;)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
There is a formula which i follow for all questions - SEQ - State Explain Quote ... my teacher taught it to me, its quite useful -- you understand what your writing alot more, i never usually understand what im writing - i get lost in my own bullshit.
With this particular question i suppose you could mention your opinion, and comment on effectiveness? Go through each of ur texts talking of theme and techniquse using the SEQ formula and remember at the end of each main paragraph remember to link to the question .. say this text has shaped my understanding of a physical journey because ....... - but use different wording.

I dont like that question either.. Hope we're not given it in our HSC!
Good luck xoxo

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Ohh that is such a typical question that I'm sure everyone gets. I just wrote an essay for that over the holidays. I'm doing physical journeys, so mine was quite simple, but some of my understandings were:

Physical journeys are accompanied by realisations and understandings.
The voyager is likely to experience an expanded knowledge.
A physical expedition can also include a journey of the soul.
Portray the inner and emotional development of the migrant.

I think they're very similar to each other, but thats what has shaped my understanding I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)