Essay on king lear... do you think this is ok??? (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Compose an argument for or against the topic:
That every text has its use-by date
Consider your prescribed texts, language and form, and its reception in different contexts.

Shakespeare’s King Lear incorporates many ideas such as power structure and justice, which can be interpreted in many ways depending on the context in which the play is received. After one examines the many productions and adaptations of King Lear, which deal with the above ideas, it is evident that these themes and thus the text do not have a use by date. It is because of the changing nature and influences of society these themes, which transcend time, can be viewed, and interpreted in many ways, just as the text as a whole has been.
Many view King Lear as a play about power structure. This idea is explored extensively in Grigori Kozintev’s Russian film version. Throughout the production, there are vivid, stark and bleak images of peasants walking on the outskirts of the kingdom. This is the first visual you actually see and is a clear contrast to the Kings courts represented in Act 1 Sc 1. It is a hierarchal structure which is challenged in this text, with Kozintev’s emphasis on Lear being portrayed as equal on the heath and comes to a realisation “Oh I have ta’em to little care of this”. However, this production views the ending and the restoration of the hierarchal structure in negative light, emphasising that “the poor wretches” would still be subject to the mistreatement they were by Lear.
Power structure in Shakespeare would have been received differently in the Elizabethan times where the hierarchal structure was the divine right of kings, who were considered gods appointed rulers on earth. Unlike Kozintev’s production which would have been received in light of Lear being blinded by his material goods and power (emphasised by Lear choosing goods as he leaves the castle), Shakespeare’s audience would believe it was absolutely ridiculous for Lear to divide his kingdom “conferring them on younger strengths”. It is this choice, which would upset the natural order and leave the kingdom and Lear in a state of chaos.
From looking at the Grigori Kozintev version, which evidently represents a contrasting view to those of Shakespeare’s audience, emphasises the texts universal and timeless qualities. It is not only a text, which is interpreted in different times, but in totally different places.
Nevertheless, the most effective literary quality of Shakespeare’s work is it is irony. Lear states he is dividing his kingdom so “future strife may be prevented.” Yet ironically, as Shakespeare’s audience would have believed the division of the kingdom created future strife. This is further represented in the 2002 Harlos Production, when Cordelia runs around the stage yelling out “nothing”, this is effective foreshadowing of the chaos to disorder to follow.
Justice in King Lear has been the primary focus of various readings and productions. Many productions emphasise the death of Lear, Cordelia, and Gloucester to be tragic death, which are unjust, thus leaving a pessimistic interpretation of justice in the play. However, from Shakespeare’s original context, Lear’s “future strife” is interpreted as just, and although he learns from his mistakes, he committed the initial “crime” of dividing his kingdom. Nevertheless, a Christian or redemptive reading emphasises that Lear especially has been redeemed, by realises “she was wronged,” and asks for forgiveness “ I’ll kneel down and ask thee forgiveness.”

Its not finished yet but do you think if i say how brook conveys no justice and nihilsm,and then go on to say from all the productions discussed in a range of contexts it is evident that king lear does not have a use by date.......suggestion please.....if you need help with n e thing ill help you 2 :)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
That was the hsc question I had to answer last year, and I must say yours seems very informative. The introduction tells the reader exactly what they are going to expect from your essay. You have referred to 3 productions (good stuff!) and compared and contrasted them. You back up your arguements with sufficient evidence (including quotes too!! good good good). cheez, sounds like i'm babbling on here, but just finishing off, you know your king lear, you know it well! Take a few deep breaths when you get into the exam, gather your thoughts and the words will flow :)

S

Sheehan :)

post up the entire thing or is that it..........so far its good but it can be tweaked a little

S

Sheehan :)

any way wat is this 4 have u guys stard ur mdules already or r u a HSC candidate

lilkatie

Ok because i'm doing this same assess task in a week or so
For essays like this doesn't 25% of marks go to lang, anotehr to form, themes and reception.....so you need all 4 aspects to get full marks
How do you put in stuff about language?? is there any in this essay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)