essay & forms... (1 Viewer)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
darlings, it just occurred to me...what is the likelihood of us being asked to write in a non-essay form tomorrow? eg "write a feature article for an arts supplement discussing what makes the two australian plays you have studied so effective" or something. i would drop dead from relief (not that it would help me then), i hate straight essays, but i don't think it's ever happened before... i mean it's not like english where one of the outcomes involves being able to use different text types...

and the exam's at 1.55, no?

Ezzmaye

HSC
N/A
It's most likely that we will be asked to write in essay form. I hate writing in essay form aswell. It's stupid, but it's my last exam, so i don't have to worry bout nemore essays till next yr!!! The exam starts at 1.55pm and ends at 3.30pm

welshi

HSC
grk_styl said:
is it a guaranteed essay?? they've never had any BUT essays from 01 to 03.

arrrghhhh!
yeah well like i said...i doubt they'll ask us to write in another form cos the drama syllabus doesn't require knowledge of alternate text forms like eng does. would be nice tho. *sigh*

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
yeh ur probably right...and im assuming our teachers would have told us about it, like they do in eng.

hm...i like essay form though. intro, body, conclusion, done! it isn't tooo bad. are u just memorising 2 essays welshi?

Ezzmaye

HSC
N/A
I looked on da Board of Studies website, and the questions from 2001 - 2003 are essay questions. So, im pretty sure that it would be essay questions! Damn it!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Memorising essays for drama is a bad idea.

I'll look over two top essays from our trials, and then make some dot points to revise in the car.

I can't do much more though since i have biology tomorrow as well. But that should be all you need. There is a wide variety in drama questions - so memorising might not be so good.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
yeh i know what ur saying, but i can't pull out an essay on the spot. lol i'm unable to do it. i've written generic essays that oucld have been applied to all past papers from 01-03 and inclu. trials, so i think i'm fine. :)

O-B-1 Ken-O-B

HSC
Well I used to be able to pull out an essay on the spot without doing a plan of somesort, but when I did that during my trials I only got 16/20 for my brecht essay and 13/20 for my incomplete Australian theatre essay (I spent too much time on Brecht...). Thinking takes too much time...

What I'm doing this time is like what grk_styl said, I wrote 2 long generic essays, one for Brecht and one for Australian. For Brecht I simply made up a focus/link between my two Brecht texts (Threepenny and Mother Courage), as I have noticed that Brecht questions always asks something about what is Brecht's intent or how Brecht made his audience confront the realities of society. Then I choose 2 or 3 Brechtian techniques that can be found in each play and focus/analyse them (for eg: Breaking down the 4th wall, the spontaneous use of song and presenting the characters on stage as real people). It is important to know Brecht's intent in creating Epic theatre as probably the Brecht essay questions revolves around this.

For Australian theatre, well I'm just going to buls**t here because the questions for this topic are just too diverse. When I wrote my generic essay, it was written in an entirely different style from my Brecht one. This time I have to look out for 6 separate techniques, 3 from each play (Gary's House and 7stages of Grieving). It is recommended that you read the introductions of each play you're doing as they often give you indications on what techniques the play used and their function or symbolism. When choosing techniques, choose the most prominant ones from each play (for eg: 7 Stages- Aboriginal Storytelling methods as well as other different styles of delivery; Gary's House- The use of stereotypes and the house as a metaphor...) as the questions would of course ask you about what techniques are used and s**t...

Well that's what I've done and I have no guarantee that it will work... but what's more important is your interest in the topic; since I'm more interested in politics and social problems then I would have more to write on Brecht than I would on Australian theatre, so therefore I would focus on that essay first and do my weaker one last. Luckily unlike the english exams, I have five extra minutes to do each essay so I might have a chance in doing well in Drama... *praying*

welshi

HSC
grk_styl said:
lol yeh! that 5 mins extra helps SOOOO much!

for some people memorising a prepared essay is better for them, and for others its not a fgood idea. but it really depends on the person :)
for some reason i find i always have trouble writing enough. i wrote a really good essay for CAT in trials, and i got 17/20 but it was only like 4 pages long. my teacher said i would have got full marks if it had been twice as long. but i didn't know what else i could put!!!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Guys its drama, not english. You need to write two essays or as BoS like to call them "drama responses." In english they give you text types in order to show HOW you write, its not an outcome for drama, so NO, pretty much 100% it will be an essay! Whether they give you a good essay or not is a different story...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Skillo said:
If it's a shit question...who wants to firebomb the BOS with me...

*Don't worry, don't call the Terrorist Hotline, I'm only joking* :D
The woman on the terrorist hotline didnt say it was a joke, and said all calls are taken seriously :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)