Equal Ranks (1 Viewer)

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
What happens if you are ranked equally to someone, who's mark do you get?
For example, i am ranked equal 8th with someone in maths. However that person has 13 units and has decided it won't count for them so they're no longer going to try in the exam or anything.
Will this effect me?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Your internal mark will be the 8th highest calculated (based on the gaps and the highest HSC exam mark)and both of you will get this mark.

However, you always keep your own external mark. So, no the person who has the same rank as you will not affect you.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Your internal mark will be the 8th highest calculated (based on the gaps and the highest HSC exam mark)and both of you will get this mark.

However, you always keep your own external mark. So, no the person who has the same rank as you will not affect you.
Not necessarily. That scheme is not fair and can be extremely inappropriate for some cases like this:

there are 2 people in the grade for the course and they both come equal "first". In this case, it doesn't mean that they will simply get the "top" mark. In such case, they consider mark difference and average marks out.

In the case above, the most likely scenario is that they will try so that both get very similar internal marks but they won't be entirely same. it will really depend on everyone's performance and their individual performance.

In all seriousness though, the person who is equal ranked with her WILL affect her to some extent but it will fairly minimal.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Not necessarily. That scheme is not fair and can be extremely inappropriate for some cases like this:

there are 2 people in the grade for the course and they both come equal "first". In this case, it doesn't mean that they will simply get the "top" mark. In such case, they consider mark difference and average marks out.

In the case above, the most likely scenario is that they will try so that both get very similar internal marks but they won't be entirely same. it will really depend on everyone's performance and their individual performance.

In all seriousness though, the person who is equal ranked with her WILL affect her to some extent but it will fairly minimal.
Are you talking about external marks or internal marks? I know that you keep you external marks and your internal mark is calculated based on exam gaps and the cohort's external performance.

But what you're saying that if two people (or more) have the same rank, then the mark differences are considered. Is that the mark difference between the people on the same rank?

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
Are you talking about external marks or internal marks? I know that you keep you external marks and your internal mark is calculated based on exam gaps and the cohort's external performance.

But what you're saying that if two people (or more) have the same rank, then the mark differences are considered. Is that the mark difference between the people on the same rank?
i tihnk what the school gives in aren't actually ranks but marks to one decimal point. so if you actually are equal to someone, the marks which the school gives in are exactly the same
i think ^.^

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i tihnk what the school gives in aren't actually ranks but marks to one decimal point. so if you actually are equal to someone, the marks which the school gives in are exactly the same
i think ^.^
Oh i see, thanks for your input :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i think ^.^
Yep that is true. But the decimal point to which the mark goes depends on each school I think. School sends in MARKS not RANKs as you mentioned.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I also think there needs to a be system of fairness and 'normal' when schools are reporting marks as I know of numerous schools which are aligning marks and submitting those "aligned" marks to BoS rather than raw. My school submits the raw marks and and essentially by aligning the marks this shrinks the gaps in marks quite significantly (actually, a lot).

I just want there to be a standard in reporting marks - as aligning school marks is kind of cheating if not all schools do it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I also think there needs to a be system of fairness and 'normal' when schools are reporting marks as I know of numerous schools which are aligning marks and submitting those "aligned" marks to BoS rather than raw. My school submits the raw marks and and essentially by aligning the marks this shrinks the gaps in marks quite significantly (actually, a lot).

I just want there to be a standard in reporting marks - as aligning school marks is kind of cheating if not all schools do it.
I am sure when schools align their marks...they use the statistics to manipulate the marks so that the relative gap between each person is maintained even if the marks are changed. So the fairness is kept in that way.

q3thefish

HSC
I am sure when schools align their marks...they use the statistics to manipulate the marks so that the relative gap between each person is maintained even if the marks are changed. So the fairness is kept in that way.
Bah. Namu knows his stuff too well I believe.

zeleboy

HSC
i think ^.^
They give in whole numbers.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Schools can only send in whole marks as that is what the system will allow them to imput.

Schools can send in raw marks, or adjusted marks, so long as they don't change the ranks or the relative gaps between students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)